• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

More wing questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iskyfly

Still working away on the wings, but making progress. A couple of questions:
1) Is it far to assume that I need to dimple the piano hinge where it attaches at the rear spar (since the skin/spar are dimpled there)?
2) Does anyone have suggestions for the ABS fairings that cover the in-wing counterweight?

As always, thanks to this community for feedback on the building process!

Cheers,
George

George,

I'm not sure if it's common practice, and it doesn't seem to be specified in the plans or the wing construction manual, but I think some have chosen to use the CCP-42 rivets to attach the ailerons to the trailing edge, rather that countersinking and using the CCC-42. I'm not there yet, and I'm not sure if this gives a stronger attachment or if it's no advantage at all. Maybe Fred and others can weigh in.

I dimpled the hinges. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't countersink or dimple anything and just use ccp rivets everywhere.

I appreciate the feedback! It seems like I have so many questions all along the way because so much of this is new territory for me. Hearing what others have done, would do differently, or are preparing to do has helped me not to get stuck forever. Cheers!

Back