• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mounting cowling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darius Plank

Anyone give me some do's and don'ts on mounting the cowling? How far back from the face of the prop hub? Should there be a gap on the bottom at the front of the gear? (taildragger). I assume to center the front opening with the prop hub. Thanks in advance.

Anyone give me some do's and don'ts on mounting the cowling? How far back from the face of the prop hub? Should there be a gap on the bottom at the front of the gear? (taildragger). I assume to center the front opening with the prop hub. Thanks in advance.
There have been enough of these made, seems like there could be a parallel dimension down from the top longeron to the hinge on the cowling. Also the forward dimension or the gap between the cowling and the prop flange.

The cowling location relative to the front face of the prop hub is really a function of the width of the spinner rear bulkhead flange. If the flange is 3/4” wide, you’ll want the front of the cowling about 7/8” back from the prop hub face. When I installed my cowling, I made a plywood bulkhead with the correct spacing built in that I bolted the prop hub, and then screwed the front cowling flange to it.
The cowling horizontal split line should be on the crankshaft centerline and parallel to the top longeron. The bottom rear of the cowling should be below the bottom of the landing gear where it is attached to the bottom of the fuselage.

Back