• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My attempt at modernizing the electro-x

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguyeddy

I have two electrox setups, one of which is missing the magnet ring for whatever reason.

I have obtained a newer kohler stator and it fits the mounting pattern of the old onan/wisconsin stator. The wires come out of the wrong side of the stator but that should be easy to remedy. With the use of this stator i should be able to run a normal type combination regulator/rectifier. The magnets are available from a pulling tractor vendor and must be spaced with 1/4” aluminum pins. Im not sure of exactly what type of glue to install the magnets with.

https://imgur.com/gallery/5t1OLCt

Looks like locktite e20 hp is rated to 300°. Two part epoxy. Balancing the thing might be an issue afterward tho

Can they be riveted as well as bonded?
Seems there were a few articles on the subject in old newsletters.
Since i have not needed to address this yet :) I did not review to verify where aluminum/bronze/ or steel rivets may or may not be applicable. :-\

smt

The kohler magnets are not drilled for rivets and i assume you wouldnt want to rivet ceramic magnets.

Attachments

• 779D6A7E-F4C2-4558-872F-886FEB475EE0.gif
    779D6A7E-F4C2-4558-872F-886FEB475EE0.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 64
Aha!
They go right up against & are contoured to the rim; which does seem more secure.
Bonding alone seems reasonable if the "can" is not flexible.

I'd personally feel better if the "can" had an inward turned rim. (case magnet segments on 3 sides) Would probably make the rotor that way for myself if there is clearance?
However, will butt out since I have no direct experience.

smt

Im pretty sure thats actually how its done these days, with a turned inward lip (if im not mistaken). Either way i cannot do that with the one i have

I damaged the winding on this stator trying to move the leads to the other side, so i will be rewinding it. 14 turns of #17 wire per pole piece. Thankfully i work at an electric motor shop, so the wire will be free.

Back