• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mystery Brakes on Azusa Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mx5tc

Supporting Member
I acquired a mostly complete but blown apart Sonerai IIL project (1983 start date) last summer and just started going through everything this week. I've got what appears to be a set Azusa Tri-Star 5" cast aluminum wheels mounted on 3/4" ID axles with tapered Timken roller bearings. All seems to be standard stuff for a vintage Sonerai. However, both wheels have what appears to be a hydraulic drum brake of a type I have never seen before. Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer of these brakes is and where I can find a manual/overhaul instructions/parts for these brakes. Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Attachments

• Back View.jpg
    Back View.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Wheel Face View.jpg
    Wheel Face View.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
Thanks for the fast replies Fred & Brandon! I've never seen a disk brake that was totally enclosed and quite as small as the O'Brien C-90 models. How effective are these brakes? I assume that they are better than cable drum brakes and not as good as a conventional hydraulic caliper/disk like the AeroVee setup Fred has.

A friend has these brakes on a Pober Junior Ace, much bigger and heavier than a Sonerai, and he is happy with them.

Back