• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

N283SX: JoeB's Sonerai I

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeB

Here is the history of the Bumpous Sonerai I
(If anyone has corrections or history on this aircraft to share, please send me a message).

Bumpous Sonerai 1 N283SX
Yr. Mfg: 1981
Engine: VW 1600cc
Prop: Hegy 53x42
Builder: Glenn T. Bumpous Frankfort, Ky

Some history:
6/9/1976, Logbook signed off “OK to finish and cover”
7/6/1977, Logbook signed off “OK to finish”
9/8/1980, Glenn Bumpous wrote a letter to the FAA notifying them that he is “constructing a Sonerai ‘I’, SN283 Designer John Monnett”
And that, “I am requesting a special “N” number for this aircraft. The following are 4 priority listings:
1 - N283SX
2 – N283SI
3 – N283SO
4 – N283SE
Enclosed is $10.00 for this request.
I hope to have plane ready to fly Nov 1, 1980”

Ownership Records:
Glenn T. Bumpous sold Sonerai #283 to Don H. Beard, Galena, MO (March 3,1996)
Don H. Beard sold Sonerai #283 to David M. Burlak, Grayslake, IL (October 28, 2003)
In 2005, David Burlak upgraded the engine from 1600cc to 1835cc adding GP secondary ignition
David M. Burlak sold Sonerai #283 to Tim Fosdick, Pekin, IL (_/_/_)
Tim Fosdick sold Sonerai #283 to Joe Burley, Atlanta, GA (5/22/12)

Logbook Inspections/Maintenance/Repairs:

6/11/81 – Certificate of Airworthiness issued

6/11/82 – Unlimited Certificate of Airworthiness issued Total time 40.3 hrs

7/10/83 – Annual Inspection completed

7/21/84 – Annual Inspection completed Total time 44 hrs

5/13/96 – Annual Inspection completed Total time 57.5 hrs

0/00/00 – Replaced both main tires, clean/repack wheel bearings, shimmed main axles to achieve proper toe-in. Overhauled carb, replaced primer and relocated primer port from carb to intake manifolds. Changed engine oil and screen, 3qts Castrol 10W30. Replaced all engine breather hoses. Installed new induction hoses and clamps. Adjusted valves. Cleaned gascolator and replaced screen/seals. Installed new voltmeter. Installed new brake pads, replaced caliper o-rings, bleed brakes. Installed new seat belts and shoulder harness. Test ran engine, OPS and leak check with no leaks found and al OPS check good. Total time 85.1 hrs

7/24/06 – Annual Inspection completed Total time 134.0

1/18/08 – Annual Inspection completed Total time 150.1

1/15/09 – Annual Inspection completed Total time 175.0

4/18/11 – Aircraft disassembled and should be considered in a project state at this time Total time 175.0

Currently:
Overall, Sonerai #283 is in good condition. The construction of the aircraft is quite good but it needs some love before it is ready to fly and be presentable. The aircraft is undergoing restoration in preparation for upcoming Airventure Cup and other Sport Air Racing League events.
Thank you for your interest in my project, many updates to follow!

-Joe

Thought I would add some photos to the gallery and give an update on my S1, life and work are slowing the restoration down but it's coming along!

Here is how it was when purchased:
normal_S1-N283SX_1.JPG

Fuselage stripped and primered:
normal_image~1.jpg

Fabric going on:
normal_image~11.jpg

And here it is today:
normal_image~25.jpg

normal_image~24.jpg

normal_image~27.jpg

A few more, I put some primer on it over the weekend:

normal_image~34.jpg

normal_image~35.jpg

normal_image~36.jpg

Pttim said:
Is that silver UV protection?

This is Stewart Systems EkoFill, primer, UV protection, filler, sealer all in one.

Ahhh! I got it it! I've not seen the step by step process. Keep posting your progress, it is looking good!

Green and white base coats are on the fuselage, just needs race number and trim, then a wet sand and buff!

photo_2.JPG

Back