N685L for sale

Help Support Sonerai.net:

mhflyit

Well it’s also time to part with my S2 which is also bittersweet. I accomplished my goal of a less than $20k airplane to prove our sport more affordable than some would think. I also plumbed the engine which I didn’t get to do on my RV8 – two boxes checked. My daughter started at FSU this fall and larger transportation is necessary. Presidential TFR’s start again soon and curtail flight opportunities for my SII.
Originally completed and flown in 1984 by John Lund. John’s father built B17’s during WWII and made sure John knew how to weld. I bought and started restoring the airplane in 2012 with only the wings (partly repainted), the fuse (sand blasted, repainted and recovered with the Stewart System) and gear original. Rewired (partly includes original Lunar Lander silk thread tied by an original Lander electrical engineer). First post restoration flight in July 2016.
Airframe TT 132 hours. 52TT on a 2013 Steve Bennett built 2276 GP engine (one of the last he built). Mag and GP Secondary low height electronic ignition. 50 X 50 Sterba propeller, electric start, MGL EFIS (w/engine management) - EGT(4), CHT(4), Oil pressure, Oil temp., manifold pressure, RPM plus all the necessary flight instruments. MGL V10 com. 11 rib B wing with wing walk. 5.00 x 5 wheels and GP hydraulic brakes. Tinted canopy. 594 empty weight. 5/8 landing gear. . 130-135 mph cruise at ~3300 rpm. Is a reliable airplane. Turtle deck has been raised 3 inches and vertical stab raised 4 inches. Also posted on Barnstormers.

Bil438

Great history of the aircraft Matt. Hope you are able to realize your plans. Bill

wbpace

I can't believe it's already been four years since our first meet-up at Chino (pictures in Matt's gallery, page 3). I'll be the only one left from that crew, and right now my progress is...glacial. Sigh.

O'Bill

mhflyit

Passing the baton Bill!
You can take the pilot out of the Sonerai but I don't think you ever take the Sonerai out of the pilot. Its just a great machine and a lot of fun - great value!
Keep building and I'll come and see your finished plane and take a picture!!
Matt

Smokyray

www.iamanet.org
Matt,
Selling the S2 in lieu of an RV....hmm, a story several of us know all too well!
RV’s are great airplanes but I guarantee you will miss your Sonerai.
I flew 994SP twice as much as either of my 2 RVs at half the cost....great economy of scale and a stellar sports plane!

V/R
Smokey
PS: Like Burt Reynolds, I’m a FSU non grad.... 8)

mhflyit

Smokey, I know, its a lot of fun.
We'll see what happens!
I digress...I'm in Italy this week and saw 3 F16's flying over yesterday all loaded up! Thought of you and a friend of mine - you both being F16 pilots (he retired 20 years ago). He's just rejoined as a civilian training Afghanistan pilots in he Tucano - back in it and loving it!

mhflyit

Original drawings, manual and other 'interesting' documents from the time in original binders.
Flights logs from the original 80's test flights, all receipts from my rebuild and other documents organized in a detailed 3 inch ring binder.

mhflyit

1 weekend out of every 4 over the last 2 years has been a Presidential TFR 'no fly zone' for 685L... and 3 out of the last 4!
N685L with a fresh annual is for sale without a transponder! ::)

mhflyit

Good news for those coming away from Oshkosh with the bit between their teeth for a 'new' Sonerai, 685L is still for sale...but with some hard learned provisos:
1. if the buyer lives west of the Rockies they must trailer and east of the Rockies if flying then must have a good plan with demonstrated consideration toward safety equipment, time and experience
2. must have recent TW currency
3. must have a good understanding of the Sonerai and the wonderful world of experimental aircraft in general
4. must be ready to close the deal and not expect a several month 'hold' period while they get their affairs in order

Matt

mhflyit

N685L Sonerai II remains for sale! I haven't been flying since the last deal fell through due to business commitments. Not re-posted on Barnstormers yet. My plan was to build a plane for less than $20k and test fly it. It's a ~4gph, 130+ mph (without wheel pants), 800ftmin+ climb, beautifully handling machine. I achieved what I wanted and now the Sonerai II doesn't match my mission for the long term. See 'mhflyit' YouTube videos for some flying action. Trying to find the sweet spot for the right buyer - too low and prospective buyers aren't legitimate, too high and they don't look. Open to reasonable offers.

Stack

N685L Sonerai II remains for sale! I haven't been flying since the last deal fell through due to business commitments. Not re-posted on Barnstormers yet. My plan was to build a plane for less than $20k and test fly it. It's a ~4gph, 130+ mph (without wheel pants), 800ftmin+ climb, beautifully handling machine. I achieved what I wanted and now the Sonerai II doesn't match my mission for the long term. See 'mhflyit' YouTube videos for some flying action. Trying to find the sweet spot for the right buyer - too low and prospective buyers aren't legitimate, too high and they don't look. Open to reasonable offers.
Hi Matt.
I couldn’t find any Youtube video for mhflyit?

Latest posts