• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

N994SP Gets High!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyw

2nd and current "Caretaker" N994SP
Supporting Member
It takes a little patience to get to 9,000'msl. But, the views are spectacular!

46561133144_0f9cffc59c_z.jpg

kennyw said:
It takes a little patience to get to 9,000'msl. But, the views are spectacular!

46561133144_0f9cffc59c_z.jpg

Nicely done!
Were you able to utilize the Zenith's mixture control?
V/R
Smokey

Yes. At 9,000msl, I set 2,100RPM and leaned just rich of peak. I don't know what my fuel burn was at altitude. But, I was airborne for about 2.6 hrs. on a full tank, and had about 2 gallons left when I shut down at home.

I took my time descending. So, a lot of the endurance number was from coasting down.

Kenny,
Impressive you could maintain level flight that high at 2100RPM!

Flying home from AMA after buying it from Scotts estate I cruised at 9500" with the ailing 2180. The Ellison TBI leaned well up that high and the fuel burn was 3.8 gph by my watch and leftover fuel when I landed.

Sounds like the Ultimate 1835 has that beat!
Well done!
Smokey

You REALLY DO post some righteous pics and videos KennyW! I think of all the active owners and flyers on this site, that you sir are getting arguably the most enjoyment and quality stick time in your S2L!
Is that crater Mount Saint Helens? I would have been very 'anxious' making that flight..you are obviously skilled, confident and brave! My vote is coolest inflight Sonerai pic ever! Thanks for sharing it!
I've had mine up to 6500 MSL in Jan. and was freezing, especially my feet! I can't bundle up too much and still fit! LOL!
What winter garments and footwear are you using for those high & cold flights? Does your bird have some form of cockpit heat?

WOW! Beautiful picture! I am in Tampa with a Sonerai 2L that needs some work to be flyable. I want to do that. No mountains in Florida. Bummer

Some of the most beautiful pictures ever of the Mt. St. Helens area. I was in California when it blew, and flew US Forestry Air Attack years later for the fires around it. This is unbelievably beautiful country, winter or summer. I envy you being able to fly around it now. Thanks for sharing these pictures, and would you PLEASE send these to EAA? I know of no better cover shots than this.

Some of the most beautiful pictures ever of the Mt. St. Helens area. I was in California when it blew, and flew US Forestry Air Attack years later for the fires around it. This is unbelievably beautiful country, winter or summer. I envy you being able to fly around it now. Thanks for sharing these pictures, and would you PLEASE send these to EAA? I know of no better cover shots than this.

Thanks for the compliments! I was driving from San Diego to Seattle when it blew. I actually was in the traffic jam on the Hayden Island bridge as a result of the interstate closure when it blew. I worked out a deal with the guy in the car behind me to watch my car while I hiked down to the Jantzen Beach Burger King to buy us some chow.

Little did I know then, that I would end up living in Portland, just a couple of miles away from there within a couple of years, and later in Washington state.

Back