• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need Input on S2L Jab2200 Performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arron25

My 2L last flew with an 1835, but I intend to update to a Jab motor in the progress of putting her back in the air . I have a solid lifter re-coned motor, but would like to get real world input as to the performance with the 80Hp. Would really like to put a 6 in it , as the performance with it seems impressive, but a lot more stress, not only with extra HP, but the 6 cyl induction compromises and cooling.
So if those with a 2.2 installed, could I get some real world input ie... speeds/fuel burn, problems/idiosyncrasies of install and subsequent operation and handling.

Thanks in advance
Lyle

Last edited:
Hi Lyle, I've only had three flights with my Sonerai IILT but I can confirm I'm seeing an easy 100knots at 2700rpm with a Jab2.2. I'm guessing the nose wheel slows it down a bit. Temperatures are all good, except for oil where I see 85'c on climb and descend but oddly 110'c on cruise, go figure! Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben, I hope with your speed you have it with finer prop at present. Nose leg I would expect would be about a 5 kn penalty, but I was getting around 90-95 with an 'ordinary' 45hp 1835 with a cruise prop. Had you flown with a VW.. would like feedback on the torque difference of the opposite rotation? I intend to firewall mount the Jab so won't have the yaw of the longer nose. Good flying Lyle

Back