• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New builder, Australia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie aust

Hello All,

I have placed an order for the plans ( Sonerai 1 ) and hope to get started with the build very soon.
I have worked with 2024-T3 before ( Vans RV-7A), however I will need to learn a few new skills, like welding 4130 and fabric.
I would like to know any areas that I need to lookout for in the plans, as I have not found any listed on this forum.
What speed mods can I do ?
Any builders here from Australia ? Please reply.
I will be going to Oshkosh this year, so I hope to catch up with a few people and ask a lot of questions.
Im looking for parts and tube.

jamie

Hi Jamie,
Welcome and congratulations on your decision to build a S1!
There is a lot to take in so once you get the plans and start building we will continue to encourage you and help you along.
I'm sure Ed and Jeff will share their experiences and speed mods with you, right now the 'speed' needs to be stressed on building that basic structure!
Keep us updated and posts some pictures of your accomplishments as you progress, big or small.
It's a great group here, I'm sure you'll enjoy it
-Joe

Hi Jamie, Welcome, as Joe stated, there are a few speed mods that can boost the Sonerai 1 performance, without compromising handling. If you can access the archives of this site, plenty of them have been talked about. I have several small Mods that I developed over the years. Contact me at [email protected] If you want to discuss any of this…Ed

Thank you Ed & Joe.
Here is my last project VH-XJL
dsc01590custom.jpg

It has an 0-360 carb, runs all day 150KTS on 32 ltrs/per hr.
I miss building, every morning I see my workshop full of aviation tools not being used, well its that time again to put them back into use.
I have had a look into the Archives and still looking for more data.
If anyone has photos or Ideas please email me
[email protected]

Hi Jamie, I'm involved in a Sonerai 1 which has been under construction for more than 10 years but nearing completion (famous last words). The speed mod we have chosen to incorporate is a Jabiru 3300. Some would say it is no longer a Sonerai but we have tried to keep it simple in keeping with the spirit of the original. Based in South Australia. Harry

Harry, where in SA are you located? I am discussing going to Adelaide, SA to do some work there for a medical software company.

Hi Jamie

I am also a new Aussie Sonerai builder - a Sonerai 2LS - I purchased a completed fuse and need to chase up a canopy and prop for a Revmaster 2100D - Looking through the excellent information provided on this site it appears that a Sterba 54'' dia by 44'' or 45'' pitch may be a good compromise climb/cruise prop. Comments invited from anyone with first hand prop info please.

I need to make my own wings - I intend using a Riblett airfoil 37A312 to improve lift coeff and provide a softer stall - this airfoil also will provide a slightly broader laminar flow bucket/range than the original Sonerai section - the thickness remains the same at a 12 % section leaving the front spar the same as the Sonerai S wing, although my rear spar will be slightly deeper - I will probably design separate 4 foot flaps and ailerons. I have already made my rib tools and completed my first nose rib - I am finishing off my tooling to press the 2'' and 3'' rib lightening holes. I will also set my incidence at just under 1 degree to lower the nose a little overall - note that the Sonerai wings per Plan are set at zero degrees incidence.

I am located in central NSW between Orange and Dubbo - I also fly a Glasair RG out of my own property/airstrip - all the best with turning your dreams into vibrating reality - happy building.

[email protected]

David Ecc

Tread carefully here. The more you deviate from the plans you are now not building a sonerai and those that fly the airplane as built to the plans, do not play well with those that do not follow the instruction or plans. If you do this these people would prefer if you called your airplane something else besides a Sonerai when you register it.

From my understanding this is how the Harmony Rocket came to be. Its a modified Sonerai or a sonerai not built to the plans. If I am wrong about this I am sure to be corrected.

Tony

Ecco said:
I intend using a Riblett airfoil 37A312 to improve lift coeff and provide a softer stall - this airfoil also will provide a slightly broader laminar flow bucket/range than the original Sonerai section - the thickness remains the same at a 12 % section leaving the front spar the same as the Sonerai S wing, although my rear spar will be slightly deeper - I will probably design separate 4 foot flaps and ailerons...

Yep, I know the thought-process – trying to (legitimately) shoehorn the Sonerai into LSA, I sketched up 17%+/- foil of the same family and made the templates – figured the incidence tweak (used by many, from what I read... ) and slotted flaps would pull the nose down… but in the end the templates just joined the others on the wall of the garage for another day…

Attachments

• 2443793165349d56ea67de.jpg
    2443793165349d56ea67de.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 1588441415349d5179f2bd.jpg
    1588441415349d5179f2bd.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 67
dcstrng said:
I think the Harmon Rocket may have been an RV modification…

I think you are correct, I read so much sometimes its hard to remember what goes where....Thanks for the corrections. I believe they call this...knowing enough to be dangerous...

Tony

Hi generalgrant - 90 km South of Adelaide. When are you expecting to be in town? Harry

Thank you for the reply everyone, I have been off work the last few days with the flu, so I have had a bit of time to do some homework on the sonerai :)
I will build the wings first as they seem to be much the same as my RV wing, and I still have the wing stand bolted to the floor.
im 50/50 if I should buy the ribs or make my own... hmmm
I found a video on the EAA web site talking about building a sonerai, it was 1.5hrs long , great to watch.
I hope to attend the welding class at Oshkosh this year, also to be able to my first sonerai up close.
Wish my plans would turn up, what size table should I build 16 ft long, how wide ?
For the tube side of things, I will be getting a Smith little torch and a tube notcher, what other nice to have items should I look for.
jamie

Harry,
I am still negotiating with them; it will be a few months at earliest.

Because of expected delays and process time I have already started figuring out all the paperwork, security check, etc. to get a two year special permit in AU using my US license. Only bummer is the DAY VFR restriction.. I love night flight and thought AU would be really nice at night.

I also looked at buying a Sonerai and having the company ship it over as part of the relocation. It's not much different than a large couch ;-)

jamie aust said:
I will be getting a Smith little torch...

I have the Little Torch and find it great, but at least with my hamfisted welding a bit light (generally I use a small tip on a Victor-esque torch), I need the largest available tip for the SLT for anything over 0.028 wall and I've never tried it on anything thicker... but for lighter stuff it is a joy to use, like a pencil -- feels like a toy, but isn't if the application is good... great little tool.

Attachments

• Welding_TIPS_Gas.pdf
    276.6 KB · Views: 51
Hi guys, Real nice RV............... I am building a sonerai11 stretch 80HP rotax in Tassie and am also interested in a canopy, so any luck on that front please contact me....Good luck with your build, its a fun process(most of the time) ......

Back