• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New guy interested in building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanaphyst

****OK I just learned that the projects section doesn't get responses, so here goes again *************

Howdy folks,

Just ordered the plans and news letters. I own a Sonex tail dragger and now want to build something. I JUST missed the sale by acrojohn
but oh well that's the way it goes.

I have read through a bunch of the post around here but thought I might ask around to get it all collected in one spot as some of it is quite confusing.

I want light and don't need folding aerobatic/race wings. I can throw the Sonex around for that type stuff.

With that in mind do I still need the spar upgrade?

Is there a certain type of accessory case my engine must have? I see different post about x type, hapi, etc etc. I am planning hand start single magneto.

I've done Tig, Mig, and stick welding but never gas torch. Did anyone here have to learn this to build their plane? How hard was that?

My last daughter just left for college and my wife works which leaves me a lot of time for building. I know so many people never finish these things but

I'd like to think I've reached that time in life that it should be possible. There is a big EAA chapter by my house in Conroe, Texas so getting some

advice should be easy.

Yeah, there was no [reply] button on that other post.

I have not built mine, but have built other airplane parts
Re: the spar - why not build the stronger wing while building the first time? Certainly does not add much time or complexity.
Even if you are fine with original/non aerobatic; when you (or heirs) sell, it will make a very big difference in price and interest pool.

I learned to torch weld as a teenager, so though not expert (I don't do it often enough) TIG was simple to learn from the skills standpoint (same motions & rods). I would imagine going the other direction is even easier. Instead of amps, flow rates, gas applications, cup types and sizes, electrode size/configuration/projection; you only have to pick a tip size & pressure, learn to clean and sometimes shape them; rod dia. will be similar per app., & learn to control an Oxy-acetylene flame to neutral or slightly reducing (for steel). Do include a set of backflash excluders on your hoses.

good luck!
smt

xanaphyst said:
****OK I just learned that the projects section doesn't get responses, so here goes again *************

This forum is probably a little less active that some of the others out there. Its pretty low key here, something I appreciate. Give it a few days more folks will chime in.

Howdy folks,

Just ordered the plans and news letters. I own a Sonex tail dragger and now want to build something. I JUST missed the sale by acrojohn
but oh well that's the way it goes.

I have read through a bunch of the post around here but thought I might ask around to get it all collected in one spot as some of it is quite confusing.

I want light and don't need folding aerobatic/race wings. I can throw the Sonex around for that type stuff.

With that in mind do I still need the spar upgrade?

I would build the new wing, with the beefier spar, it just makes sense and I don't think its gonna be a huge weight penalty. If you really want light, focus on not adding things like a starter, full size battery, and a lot of avionics.

Is there a certain type of accessory case my engine must have? I see different post about x type, hapi, etc etc. I am planning hand start single magneto.

Depends on who's conversion kit you go with. If you go RevMaster, you'll get their gear. With Great Plains, you choose between the orinial Monnett style X-casting, or the Diehl accessory case. AeroVee has their own set up, and so on...

The engine that SmokeyRay put on 994SP has a Diehl accessory case with the crank-driven alternator and a Slick Magneto. But, the only thing the alternator does is keep a small 3lb lead-acid battery charged, which runs the fuel pump for priming, takeoff and landing. 994SP doesn't have any installed avionics. I just stay out of Mode-C veils and class C airspace.

I've done Tig, Mig, and stick welding but never gas torch. Did anyone here have to learn this to build their plane? How hard was that?

My last daughter just left for college and my wife works which leaves me a lot of time for building. I know so many people never finish these things but

I'd like to think I've reached that time in life that it should be possible. There is a big EAA chapter by my house in Conroe, Texas so getting some

advice should be easy.

Welcome aboard!

The Sonerai community is pretty congenial. Lots of folks on here with a lot of knowledge. Have fun!

Welcome!
Kennyw summed it up well! Read the plans, newsletters (on CD I assume), choose the engine and talk with the people at those companies.
Search this site top to bottom including the gallery - you'll find lots of answers.

Don't skimp on the wing spar mods, this is a safety improvement. You won't be sorry for doing them, but you probably will if you don't.
If you do a search you will see posts from people wanting to or have done the mods on previously built wings.

Congratulations on your choice of such a great airplane and glad you joined us!

There is a hangar on Conroe airport with an old Sonerai I in it that hasn't seen daylight in years. If memory serves me right it was all there...but definitely a restoration project.

Give me a call and I'll try to tell you where it is and who to track down.

Kevin
817-408-0516

There is a hangar on Conroe airport with an old Sonerai I in it that hasn't seen daylight in years. If memory serves me right it was all there...but definitely a restoration project.

Give me a call and I'll try to tell you where it is and who to track down.

Kevin
817-408-0516
I have two Sonerai 2L in build ! One is 90% done the other is basically parts with fuselage finished would like to sell the latter ! 419-615-5373 Herb

Back