• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New guy! Sonerai 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanaphyst

Howdy folks,

Just ordered the plans and news letters. I own a Sonex tail dragger and now want to build something. I JUST missed the sale by acrojohn
but oh well that's the way it goes.

I have read through a bunch of the post around here but thought I might ask around to get it all collected in one spot as some of it is quite confusing.

I want light and don't need folding aerobatic/race wings. I can throw the Sonex around for that type stuff.

With that in mind do I still need the spar upgrade?

Is there a certain type of accessory case my engine must have? I see different post about x type, hapi, etc etc. I am planning hand start single magneto.

I've done Tig, Mig, and stick welding but never gas torch. Did anyone here have to learn this to build their plane? How hard was that?

My last daughter just left for college and my wife works which leaves me a lot of time for building. I know so many people never finish these things but

I'd like to think I've reached that time in life that it should be possible. There is a big EAA chapter by my house in Conroe, Texas so getting some

advice should be easy.

Howdy folks,

Just ordered the plans and news letters. I own a Sonex tail dragger and now want to build something. I JUST missed the sale by acrojohn
but oh well that's the way it goes.

I have read through a bunch of the post around here but thought I might ask around to get it all collected in one spot as some of it is quite confusing.

I want light and don't need folding aerobatic/race wings. I can throw the Sonex around for that type stuff.

With that in mind do I still need the spar upgrade?

Is there a certain type of accessory case my engine must have? I see different post about x type, hapi, etc etc. I am planning hand start single magneto.

I've done Tig, Mig, and stick welding but never gas torch. Did anyone here have to learn this to build their plane? How hard was that?

My last daughter just left for college and my wife works which leaves me a lot of time for building. I know so many people never finish these things but

I'd like to think I've reached that time in life that it should be possible. There is a big EAA chapter by my house in Conroe, Texas so getting some

advice should be easy.
I have a 2L that is for sale N747VG. I am Harry McKay in Tampa Florida. The original builder Victor Giles flew 5,719 times each flight logged. His last flight was 2/20/08. He unfortunately passed away. I am the third owner since. I have flown it twice but had major overheating problems because the previous owner cut out the lower cowl area way too much to install a Zenith carb. and sold it to me as a flying aircraft. Flew well like a mini fighter but rpm was too low at 1650(engine not putting out the proper hp). But burnt up both heads (Temp cyl was 500 degrees). He gave me $500 toward new heads(both cost $950). I have installed the new dual plug heads and new rings (even though the engine has approx. 350 hours since complete overhaul by Victor Giles). I had help to install the new heads and rings by Al Bertelmann who has owned for 30 years a beautiful Sonerai 2 midwing. The engine has been started and run twice since. Next thing to tackle is the cooling and type of prop. Al gave me a wooden prop he had on his until he changed to another wood prop he likes better. Mine had a ground adjustable prop that Victor Giles liked. I need to post all the details in the new owner section. 813-610-8226

Back