New guy wonders what they fly like?

Help Support Sonerai.net:

Wantaberacer

Hi everyone! This is Patrick and I have been interested in the Sonerai design for about 15 years. Love the concept of the airplane, but always wondered what it's flight characteristics where similar to

mhflyit

Cross between RV and a Cub!
Handles like an RV without the 'power' - not much stick movement needed. Lands in 3-point config slow sort of like a cub.

kennyw

2nd and current "Caretaker" N994SP
Thanks for the response. How's the visibility on landing. I have almost all my time flying from the front seat of a Citabria.
If you fly the final with the ball in, trimmed at 1.3Vso, you'll never see your aim point. If you stick a little rudder in there and slip it all the way down, visibility is great!

Once on the ground, prop the canopy up just a tiny bit and you can peek around the cowling on either side for taxi.

mhflyit

As Kenny says, a small slip or a little steeper approach until over the numbers. If you fly a flat, powered on approach you won't see the runway. Just use the correct technique. Sit as high as you can in the seat and visibility on the ground isn't an issue. I flew a couple of hours in the back seat of a Citabria as first flight practice.

Thaddeus

Or, you can move the mains back a bit and put a wheel on the front. Then you can see what's there when you land or taxi. Regardless of your age, TW is an art that requires consistent practice. I can tell you that learning TW at 70 is different than at 30. If you've got TW down, then see the advice above and from 2012:
"ncam said:
I bought my sonerai S2 with 200 hours of gliding time and a PPL in Cherokee 140 and 172. I then proceeded to fly completely around New Zealand in the S2, it was the first airplane I owned. About a year later I got too low and too slow and gently sunk into the harbour mudflats. I drank a lot of salt water and it was an hour before I was found, the plane had inverted and I could not get out.... and the tide was coming in. It was not the planes fault, except that with a mid wing, vis. is limited. I now slip on finals, gives good vis and descent control.
Never go slow low. Make a curved approach on final or slip. I am not a good pilot, but I can assure that if kept going at a reasonable speed the Sonerai is a great plane, economical and fun to fly, thats why I am trying to buy another. Go to a long grass runway and practise until you are sick and tired, and eventually, suddenly you'll find you don't notice it anymore. Someone will say to you "how do you land that" and you'll have to stop and think.
Regards
Neville :)"

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sonerai+landing

Cheers!

Latest posts