• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Magnesium VW Crankcase Prices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhcishere

For anyone looking to get a new VW engine in the near future, there are rumors that prices may be raising substantially for magnesium crankcase housings out of Brasil before the end of the year. Joe from Revmaster says he will have to raise his price when this happens (up to another $1,000) so I would assume this would be the case with the other suppliers also.

Revmaster locked in my pricing with a deposit. I will probably just go ahead and get my engine soon just in case the supply gets unreliable. There is always the aluminum case but that is about an 18lbs increase in weight just for the case.

Bryan

I had heard that this day was coming...

I will have to find my notes to be sure, but the aluminum case I have for my rear drive project weighted 14 pounds more than stock but was reduced to 11 over by cutting away areas that a rear drive does not need.

I have another idea for reducing the aluminum case weight but I'm not going to hijack your thread ; )

Hijack away, I would not consider hijacking anyway. Any and all info on alternative crankcases would be pertinent to this thread.

My buddy replaced the RevMaster case in his KR2 last year with a new Empei case. Added 18 pounds to his engine.One notable detail though, the Empei case is domed on top to make room for a longer stroke crank shaft. The case, including machining for the forward thrust bearing, cost $1500.

Back