• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New member here!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingfool

Hi. Just joined today.

I have been involved with aviation for pretty much my whole life. Started flying at 14 and was the proverbial “airport kid” who worked at the airport every waking minute to earn my private. I soloed imagine a 7ac champ on -6th birthday and got my private on 17th birthday. I soloed before In like legally drive a car!

went on to become civil engineer and I’m now an airports engineer. Helping build airports across the state off WI.

I owned a Aeronca 11ac chief for awhile and I live on an Airpark. Had to sell the chief to find kids college. I currently own a Thorp T18 project. But no flying aircraft! The building is taking me MUCH longer to do. And had health issues last year with cancer tumor that had to be removed and several infections complicated the situation.

that brings me here. As I am contemplating buying a soneri 2.preferably the low wing. As the Airpark I live on has very narrow runway and it would appear not the best visibility on landing from rear seat. The Soneri would seem to get me affordable flying with reasonable speed and low fuel burn. At least get me back into the air reasonably realistically.

I am here to learn and maybe see about a purchase makes sense in the future if I can make the finances work. And I can still continue with the Thorp project.

I'm in Viroqua, WI and you're welcome to come look at mine. I fly it regularly. I've landed at small airpark runways and have had no issues - Waunakee & Holland and others come to mind.

Wow. Glad someone is so close to me. I live on Waunakee Airpark. Mid field south side.

I will have to fry to hook up with you sometime soon. Probably when it gets a bit warmer. I can drive to you, or you can fly to me.

many years ago a homeowner on Waunakee had a soneri2 low wing. Yellow as I recall seeing it. That was before I moved onto the field and he had sold it years before.

do you have a mid wing or low wing version? What engine do you have on it?

Small world. I have family in Waunakee. Yeah, wait for warmer weather for sure. I don't remember that yellow Sonerai but I remember the one from Sparta. I have a 1997 2L (low wing). Great Plains 2180 with Force One hub and Sterba prop. Can you privately message me and I'll share my contact information? This forum group is 100% responsible for keeping my plane flying. The posts and replies are absolutely amazing and truly helpful.

Small world. I have family in Waunakee. Yeah, wait for warmer weather for sure. I don't remember that yellow Sonerai but I remember the one from Sparta. I have a 1997 2L (low wing). Great Plains 2180 with Force One hub and Sterba prop. Can you privately message me and I'll share my contact information? This forum group is 100% responsible for keeping my plane flying. The posts and replies are absolutely amazing and truly helpful.

I responded to your PM.

hi guys,
I just joined today and live right next door in DeForest. I’m thinking of building the S1 as I get plenty of time flying with someone else in my day job(A300). I’m coming up on 17,000 hrs with about 1300 In tail wheels. My building experience is with Cubs. I’ve rebuild 4 when I was a bit younger and enjoying my new Tig welder and need a project. With dined so close I figured that would be a great choice for support. Also the cost will allow me to do something neat while I collect more tools. Let me know if any of you want to get together.

Dan. Would be neat to get together.

Why did you choose the S1 over building an S2 as a single place. It may have more resale if it can be converted later into a two place?

Just something to consider.

The S1 sure is pretty though.

Perhaps make two canopy’s. A single place and the traditional two place.

Many reasons. First, speed, second I will probably buy a Cub to take people flying and I don’t plan on resale for liability reasons. Name is Matt by the way. The name is what I plan on calling the plane if I choose to build.

Welcome aboard Matt. I'm new to this site myself having picked up an S1 in October that needs a little TLC. S1s are cool man.

Ok. I will bite!

If your name is Matt, why would you call your plane Dan?

My name is Tom by the way.

I see most you you guys are in the northern states. I live in Statesboro Ga. Where 40Degrees is considered cold. am the local EAA young eagle and eagle coordinator. I own a fully restored all polished 1948 Ryan Navion with US NAVY markings. High performance, retracts, a true constant speed prop upgrade. and I believe one of the very lowest airframe times just over 1210 hours and also the most original. I also have full access to my former aircraft. a fully restored Looks Brand New inside and out. Cessna 172L with a very Low time 160hp Ram conversion and is fully IFR. It is owned by my very good friend. I have keys to the aircraft and his hanger so can take it any time I want. with out even a call. I would like to find a singe seat Sonerai must have folding wings and be in Great condition. electric start, modern Radio GPS combo, lights. I have a 20 foot enclosed V nose trailer that use to carry my formula V race car. So I could carry the S-1 around with me.

This morning it is 15 degrees BELOW zero! Wind chill 25 degrees BELOW.

We get about a week of this type of weather every year. Funny we only hear about global warming when we have the week of 90’s or 100 degrees. Which we also seem to get about a week a year. A day like today and not a soul has the courage to utter the words global warming.

I've flown both single and two place sonerais, both mid wing. The visibility in single is much better, and the handling qualities are much lighter and more responsive. Don't get me wrong, the two place is a great flying airplane, but we're comparing two different planes.

A day like today and not a soul has the courage to utter the words global warming.
Actually, I utter those words every time the weather gets like this... In the context of, "Somebody call Al Gore and tell him we need that global warming back!"

Thanks steve
Actually, I utter those words every time the weather gets like this... In the context of, "Somebody call Al Gore and tell him we need that global warming back!"
First what does this have to do with this site? Second my degree is in Meteorology and Climate. So please don’t mix up the terms Global Warming and Climate Change. It might be cold in Wisconsin or the US at the moment, but the term Global Warming is based on the average temp of the World(you know Global), not where you live which is climate. Also the debate in the scientific community isn’t that climate change has always happened, it’s the rate at which it is happening. Also heat makes the weather more dynamic ( think of water on a stove). A cold snap of below 0 temps isn’t that unusual where we live. In fact we are lucky this is the first time this winter. I will never try to convince anyone to believe or not to believe on these topics. I just cringe when they are miss used. Now please back to what this site is about.

Once it gets back to the 20's I'll pull the plane out and pop over to Waunakee for a visit. My weekends are full until March... I don't think the plane is all that 'squirrely dan'ish. I have the original small 'spitfire' tail and you do have to use your feet at all times to keep the ball centered. Though, I don't mind it one bit - makes me feel connected to the plane.

Recent S1 project just posted to barnstormers! $1,850. Wings appear built. Landing gear and fuselage TACK welded. With monnett VW engine mount.

Squirrelly Dan. This may be a great start for you! I think located in FL. May want to check it out on barnstormers and give him a call!

Back