• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Member in Arizona - Sonerai IIL Taildragger.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timpilot

Hello all,
I'm going to be looking at a Sonerai IIL 'kit' soon. I'm a 300-hour private pilot with 60 hours tailwheel time and an A&P certificate.
I haven't seen the S2L yet but from pictures and conversation it seems to have a factory welded fuselage and an older AeroVee engine. The wing ribs appear to be factory made. The spars are there but no other wing assembly has taken place.
At this point I'm trying to understand how many wing ribs there should be and what, if any wing mod(s) I should look for.
Thanks all!

Hi Tim,

The original wing design had nine ribs, the upgrade has 11 and beefier spar caps. If you don't fly aerobatics nine is enough but most guys opt for 11 for peace of mind and better resale value.

Ed

If the kit I’m looking at has 9 factory made ribs, how do I get ribs, cap stiffeners, and instructions to do the 11 rib mod?

Ribs you can make with a wood form block. Everything else is just 1/8" thick flat 2024 aluminum bar or aluminum angle. For instructions, buy the plans from Sonex Aircraft

I have a “kit” available, fuselage, tail, landing gear, some fiberglass parts, new factory wing ribs and spars for 11-rib wing as of last 6 months. Comes with a used Aerovee engine, and another complete and previously flying airframe for parts and pieces. Gonna list it for sale with photos soon. Lots of items! Located in NC.

Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard! Where's home? I'm in Prescott. I sold a 2LS last year and am currently building a 2 mid-wing modified to single-seat. I may have some parts for you along the way.

John

Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard! Where's home? I'm in Prescott. I sold a 2LS last year and am currently building a 2 mid-wing modified to single-seat. I may have some parts for you along the way.

John
Hi John,
I'm 2 miles north of the Chandler Municipal airport. The owner of the kit I'm looking at is out of town until mid-November. I'm 99% sure I'll buy the airplane when he returns. Just trying to learn all I can in the meantime. Any help/parts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the welcome.

-Tim

Ribs you can make with a wood form block. Everything else is just 1/8" thick flat 2024 aluminum bar or aluminum angle. For instructions, buy the plans from Sonex Aircraft
I have formed sheetmetal parts using 3/4" plywood forms in the past. I'm hoping I'll be able to find the 4 factory ribs I'll need. I plan to buy the plans. Thanks!

-Tim

Back