• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellylinn

Hello everyone.
I am new to this site, glad I found it. I purchased a Sonerai ll from a friend of mine back in March of 2020. I have done many upgrades on it already. It has a Hapi conversion with a 1835 dual ignition engine. I Put just over fifty hours on it now. I am looking for a charging system to replace the old Hapi one. Does anyone know where I can purchase the stator, regulator/ rectifier? I called Art at GP to send me a new one, but for some reason I never got it. I have done business with him over the years and found him to be a Great Guy. Not sure why he never sent it. I ordered the whole accessory case from him with new case starter flywheel charging system. I did receive the case and the extra tools I ordered and that was a it. I have called several times and spoke with Art and he told me he would get them out the next day. This has been happening since Feb first of this year. I understand everyone has been hit with Covid and everything is sideways. All I really needed was the charging system, but I thought I would purchase everything for the future when I build my next Sonerai.
Does anyone know where I can purchase a charging system for the Hapi case? If so please contact me as I have my Sonerai apart for it's condition inspection, and it would be nice to fix it now and not be down again in the peak flying season. I must say I have been flying all winter even in twenty degrees weather and I was very comfortable with just a thin jacket. Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading everyone's posts and continuing to learn. I hope all is well with Art and his family.
Kelly

Attachments

• Sonerai ll.jpg
    Sonerai ll.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 44
Thank You both for responding to my introduction. I should have done a introduction and than a different post.
Fred I need to give you a call anyway. Thanks again guy's.

Kelly,
Great looking aircraft. I also have a Sonerai II LT almost ready to fly with HAPI 1835. What cruise/gph are you getting? Thanks- Neale in Wichita

Hey Neale,
That's Great. I can cruise at 120MPH @ 3400rpm's. I like to keep it around 3200RPM's. I can cruise about 112-115 MPH and burn as little as 3.4 Gallon per hour. Now that's leaning it out on the rich side of peak above 3000 FT. If I don't touch the mixture it's about 3.8 gallon per hour. I installed a aerovee carb and I'm still fine tuning it, but I love the set-up. I have put about 50 hours on it since I purchased it. It came with the Posa carb. I did a lot of up-grades in the last several months.
Please keep me posted and let me know how things are going. I sure do love flying mine.

Kelly
I put the Gteat Plains stator in to my Hapi case
I had to do some miner machine work to the case but it fit and works well. I had a neighbor with a machine shop in his garge and he done the work for me.

Thanks for the info. I don't know what to expect when I open it up. My charging system worked for about twelve hours, and then it quit. I tested it and found it is grounded out. I'm sure it near thirty-four years old, so I guess I can't ask to much from it. Is yours held in with four screws, or is it pressed in?

Thanks, I was reading some years back about the Hapi case and I was thinking maybe it was pressed on.

Kelly
I put the Gteat Plains stator in to my Hapi case
I had to do some miner machine work to the case but it fit and works well. I had a neighbor with a machine shop in his garge and he done the work for me.

When you get it going, let me know how that works out.

Back