• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

NEW MEMEBER.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jperkinstrades1

First of all thank you for adding me to the community. I have been tossing around the idea of building a Soneria for a few years now and my home airport is @ 5600' in Utah. I am wondering if it is doable and what people are seeing for performance.
Thanks

Same here! I have an A&P IA working with me to complete my 2LS project. I am building this plane to sell, as it doesn't fit my mission profile, or my novice pilot skill set. I begin construction the end of April or first of May.

Same here! I have an A&P IA working with me to complete my 2LS project. I am building this plane to sell, as it doesn't fit my mission profile, or my novice pilot skill set. I begin construction the end of April or first of May.

Can you explain that a little deeper?
Restoration, or a scratch build?
Just for fun, or to build time toward and A & P?

smt

I bought the plane as an investment. My friend is an A&P IA and wants me to test for my A&P. Not sure it is worth the headache to get the A&P, but guess it couldn't hurt! I was originally planning on building a Double Eagle, which is much more my speed and mission profile......low and slow!

Ok, so a rebuild.
That makes more sense than a complete plans-build project.
Since your post stated "to sell" - from what i've perceived watching since '76 is that very few Sonerais sell for what the materials, engine, paint, and avionics most likely cost in current value.

There's a couple guys on our airport working toward the 4,800 hrs to test for A & P. One does most of the maintenance on our club airplanes. (under A & P supervision of course) The local FSDO guy encouraged him a few years ago to start logging it all. It's a long slog, but of course if you don't start this year, you will be at least a year older when you do....:)

Good luck!
smt

I'm hoping that doesn't hold true, but it very well may! I enjoy the work, but it just seems there is a lot of WORK, and very little pay in working on GA aircraft. The cost of parts in the certified world has simply turned me off, hence my choice of experimental/home-built. I re-joined the EAA after a 25 year absence, but Covid shut all our meetings down. Until May 18th, my schedule is simply brutal, so I can't start work on the plane till then.

We had to curtail public activities until this spring, but we never stopped having meetings.

Good luck with the schedule and the airplane!

smt

Thanks! I have the Revmaster 2180 VW engine and mount that accommodates the starter. Is there a starter/ generator (alternator) combo setup for this or just the starter? I will have to find a way to mount an alternator and belt system if not. Looking to install lighting and MGL avionics and would like to have an electrical system, as it just makes life easier.

Here's a pic of the starter mount on the Revmaster. I am not good with computers, but managed to figure out how to post a couple of pics. I'll also need some advice on a decent prop. I'm only able to check email and this forum at really odd times, and only a couple of days a week, so if I don't respond quickly, you will know why.
20210430_182728.jpg20210430_182737.jpg

Hello Everybody. Few years ago i bought a plan of sonerai I but after head scratch i turned on a Kestrel project ( Metal corby) that i have just finished. So now i can't stay without a new project and i'm thinking on a IILS. thanks in advance for help.

Are you still working on this project, if so where are you located?

Back