• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Sonerai II Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Metcalfe

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a Sonerai II and am in the process of cleaning it up and making sure everything is neat and all the paperwork is in my name. I'm very excited to start putting some hours on it! I'll likely be asking lots of newbie questions as I progress. Here are some that I have right now:
• What do you suggest for a comfortable and secure seat?
• What do you prefer to use for sealing the gap between canopy and fuselage?
• What was the most useful upgrade or modification that you've done?

Thanks everyone!

-N994SP has high density foam in a upholstery shop made cloth covers. Seat bottoms are plywood. Seat backs are curved
aluminum. Seatbelts are simple lapbelt and dual shoulder straps. Works fine for me.

-Are you talking about the small gap at the trailing edge of the canopy where it meets the turtledeck? I don't have any seal. Never had a problem with it, even flying in light rain. But, it is hangared. Probably would have to have a canopy cover to park outside in inclement weather.

-I'm in the process of fitting out a new tailwheel. Was never happy with the original Sonerai tail spring and tailwheel assembly. And, with over 800 hours on it, the tailwheel forks were cracked. Plus, the axle bolt holes were pretty well egg-shaped. My machinist friend swears that they must never have been concentric in the first place. But, retro-fitting an off-the-shelf spring and tailwheel is proving to be a major PITA. When done, I think it will be the most important thing I've done to modify it.

Kennyw,
I think that I may try using fiberglass or Kevlar for the seat back. I'm going to try and make it ergonomic with a good curve to the lower sides. I'll have to check out the foam you mentioned.
Yes. The small gap is what I was referring to. I think that sealing it may help cut down a bit on noise, but im not sure if cutting off that negative air flow from the cabin will interfere with the cockpit vents ability to induct air?
The tail wheel sounds like an interesting project to take on. What don't you like about the original? I am going to do a wire tuck and rearrange the radio adapter and running light controls. The current panel is very messy and not well secured at all.

... What don't you like about the original? I am going to do a wire tuck and rearrange the radio adapter and running light controls. The current panel is very messy and not well secured at all.

The turned down tail-spring with a threaded end means you can't use any off-the-shelf tailwheel fork. You have to weld one up per plans, or buy the cast assembly that was being sold. I really didn't like either.

I had a standard tailwheel assy break off on the edge of the runway at Carp ON. Decided never again. Bought a tire for a Maule Rocket, machined up wheel halves and the bracket to attach the wheel. It is great and lovely to operate with. The only rub is that the wing is symmetrical so only generates lift with an angle of attack. The bigger tailwheel reduces the angle of attack a bit. Probably increased liftoff speed by 5mph. I have the J3300 engine at 127hp which makes the takeoff roll fast enough.

Back