• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Sonerai IIL owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Westerburg

I have been planning to build a Sonerai II for a few months and just purchased a Sonerai IIL that has not flow in 4 years and needs some work. It has the 9 rib wing and a second 9 rib wing kit I am hoping to make into the 11 rib wing (Looks like I Just need 2 more ribs per side? It has the L angles from the B wing).

I've been reading posts on here for a while and appreciate all the great info! I am a 160 HR pilot with about 18 in a Piper Cub. a little over a year ago I completed building (and now am flying) a Zenith 701. I needed a new project and challenge. I really like the look of the tail wheel airplane but am a bit concerned It might be a bit much for me and am considering making it a Tricycle gear that can be converted back to tail dragger later. Any thoughts on a good transition plan to help me prepare for flying it as a tail dragger would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Dean, I'm a new builder. I'm just getting started. I'm currently reading books on scratch building "long in the tooth" Sonerai builders have recommended to get me started. Like you I was real concerned about the tail dragger configuration so I reached out as you have to get experienced view points regarding ground handling for the Sonerai. By the way, I reached out to Sonex also, maybe should not have, I'm learning you can get a lot of your answers right here. However, Mr Monnett said the Sonerai does not have a reputation for being hard to handle on the ground. Here are some of the contributions I was fortunate to receive from the Sonerai group. I hope they are of assistance: https://www.sonerai.net/threads/sonerai-1-ground-handling.4996/

This is a bit off subject, but you may be building a Sonerai because you want to go faster. I'm a speed freak. Love to go fast. Here are some information sources that might be of interest if you want to go faster. Enjoy.
Juergen a Sonerai builder member of the Sonerai group recommended: Speed with Economy by Ken Paser (you can get on Spruce)
Here is fascinating video I stumbled across during my research. This could also be of help:

Thanks scootjam. I think I have decided to keep it a Tail dragger and go spend lot of time in the cub this spring before taking it up. I purchased the Sonerai IIL used and there are a few things I would like to change, but I think I'm going to get it back together and flying safely as is, then go from there.

Thanks again,

Dean

Hi Dean, sounds great. Hope you share pictures in the near future. When you get her up would love to hear your first impressions.

Last edited:
I have been planning to build a Sonerai II for a few months and just purchased a Sonerai IIL that has not flow in 4 years and needs some work. It has the 9 rib wing and a second 9 rib wing kit I am hoping to make into the 11 rib wing (Looks like I Just need 2 more ribs per side? It has the L angles from the B wing).

I've been reading posts on here for a while and appreciate all the great info! I am a 160 HR pilot with about 18 in a Piper Cub. a little over a year ago I completed building (and now am flying) a Zenith 701. I needed a new project and challenge. I really like the look of the tail wheel airplane but am a bit concerned It might be a bit much for me and am considering making it a Tricycle gear that can be converted back to tail dragger later. Any thoughts on a good transition plan to help me prepare for flying it as a tail dragger would be greatly appreciated!

I am planning on doing the same thing. Start out as a Tri and work the 40hrs off before switching to a TD.

James, I too bought a SIILS but in 2005. I made a list of stuff to do and mods I wanted to make. Fortunately for me my Friend Mike (who'd owned 47 aircraft) saw the list and said it'll never fly. I'd been at it say 5 years. Mike said determine exactly and only what work you need to do to fly and do that. Every mod you make before you've flown will either be useless or a mistake and you'll need to remove it. Mike was right. I flew 2 years later. Then I found out the changes I'd need, eg bigger fin and rudder, hoerner tip tanks.
James do thou likewise. Only what you need to fly it.
Bill E

I am planning on doing the same thing. Start out as a Tri and work the 40hrs off before switching to a TD.

James, I too bought a SIILS but in 2005. I made a list of stuff to do and mods I wanted to make. Fortunately for me my Friend Mike (who'd owned 47 aircraft) saw the list and said it'll never fly. I'd been at it say 5 years. Mike said determine exactly and only what work you need to do to fly and do that. Every mod you make before you've flown will either be useless or a mistake and you'll need to remove it. Mike was right. I flew 2 years later. Then I found out the changes I'd need, eg bigger fin and rudder, hoerner tip tanks.
James do thou likewise. Only what you need to fly it.
Bill E

I think that's some good advice. I have decided to do the minimum needed to make it safe to fly and fly it for a season, then go from there. The wiring is a real mess and needs redone to be safe and the engine hasn't run in several years. I'm going to change the oil, do compression checks, some ground test of the engine, replace all the wiring and go fly.

I dont like the paint scheme or where the builder put the verneir throttles (Tight up against the side. Almost have to use the oposite hand to move them) and the tail is standard size. I fly at an airport that regulary has 70-90 degree crosswinds, so I suspect a larger rudder is in my future.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Dean

Back