• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Strobes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soneraifred

Supporting Member
I built my Sonerai IIL a long time ago as a day VFR machine, which means no lights. After flying for a few years, I decided it might be kinda nice to have some anti-collision "strobes" to make the airplane more visible on those cloudy, hazy, schmutzy days. So, I found some neat military surplus wing tip lights with clear glass covers, converted them to use H1 55 watt quartz-halogen bulbs, and mounted one on the top of the turtledeck, and one on the belly between the landing gear legs. I wired a heavy-duty automotive flasher into the circuit to make them flash, and the system worked well. The lights were bright, but not like a true strobe.

Well, a couple of years ago when Juergen Theissen came to Oshkosh, I had the opportunity to talk to him about his LED strobe position lights, and he offered to sell me a set for a good price. So, last year I bought a set of his EPTA-LSA lights, and finally installed them when I completed my annual condition inspect a couple weeks ago. These lights are seriously BRIGHT. They have colored red and green LEDs for position lights, and white LEDs for stobe and taillight functions. I did not use the red and green lights, as I only wanted the strobe function. They were really easy to install (one screw secures each one to the airplane, and one power wire and one ground wire to connect).

If you are interested in these lights, contact Jim Hardy at JMH Innovations LLC (www.position-lights.com). And here's a couple photos of my install.

Attachments

• New Strobes 4-17 001.jpg
    New Strobes 4-17 001.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 62
  • New Strobes 4-17 003.jpg
    New Strobes 4-17 003.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 62
Back