• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New (to me) S1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations! My 2LS is delightful to fly and your 1 will be more so. Is it a flying airplane or do you have work to do?

Ed

There was a taller guy flying it hence the "beanie". That's on the list of things to modify.

The aircraft I bought was once owned by Gaston Dorval, who is dear to everyone on this site. I wish I'd known him. Don't worry, I promise to take care of it. So far, I've done following:

1. Restored the propeller (with guidance from Ed Sterba);
2. Remanufactured the intake tubing (smooth flow - all aluminum);
3. Remade (new size) the carburetor mounting bracket (old mount caused carb to rub on the starter);
4. Replaced the spark plugs and boots (new boots for 67 Camaro - lol);
5. Moved the fuel vent to the top of the tank;
6. Modified the front exhaust stacks (which will now makes for a lower cowling "repair"); and
7. Reconditioned the brakes and wheels and changed the tires to new ones.

The canopy is currently being remade in Ohio by Airplane Plastics. I'm also repainting a few things and doing a few cosmetics like valve covers (that nobody will actually see but look badass). Eventually, I'll be re-doing the instrument panel, throttle quadrant and stick. I'll post some pics in the gallery (media) for anyone who's interested.

Cheers,

Steve

Unseen details are important too...especially to the pilot/owner. Make your bird as “badass” as ya like. I was always that kid that painted every engine & panel detail on his plastic model planes and tanks, only to cover them up with the cowlings and hoods...but (I) always knew those details were there and (I) was satisfied.😉
RockOn Steve!👍🏻

I did the same thing with models. lol. During "early" Covid lockdown, I hibernated at the hangar and rebuilt a continental a-65 on a Luscombe. There weren't too many of the "hidden" features I left out. Pic enclosed. The Sonerai will get there. Thanks for the encouragement.

Attachments

• Engine 1.jpg
    Engine 1.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 74
I remember looking at a Lambogueni and the grill welding was terrible the mechanic said the grill was to keep rocks out. it didn't have to look pretty, but look inside the engine. she is beautiful and it was.

Back