• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New to the community, from NSW, Australia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maurovecchi

Hi community,
My name is Mauro, I am originally from Argentina, moved to Australia 5 years ago.
My current project is a Corby Kestrel (barely started some pieces). Lately I have been thinking about changing projects to a Sonerai as I like the extra simplicity of the airframe, between other things. The Sonerai should help me get in the air sooner, I think.
I would like to be able to go see (ideally sit on the cockpit to see how I fit) of a Sonerai I or II here in Australia.
Any Sonerais in Australia, close to NSW that I could go pay a visit to?
Regards,
Mauro.

Does Australia have a registration you can check like the USA? Fred might know when he sees this.

Many Sonerai in Australia are on the Recreational Aviation register and won't show up on the CASA site.
I have found a few around where I am, but don't know of any in your area.

Many Sonerai in Australia are on the Recreational Aviation register and won't show up on the CASA site.
I have found a few around where I am, but don't know of any in your area.
There is a small Sonex following in Oz, mostly in the south eastern states. They have a Facebook site SonexAus I think.
There is also a smaller Sonerai following here too. I’ve recently started SoneraiAus as a Facebook to try and find like minded soles….
there wil be Sonerai flying in northern NSW and i know of some in the Gold Coast region.
there was a dismantled one for sale also close by the Gold Coast too. That’s only a few hours away from you Mauro, when you can travel again

Mauro, I am 185 cm tall (6 feet 1 inch) and did not fit in my Sonerai 1 as it was designed. My head hit the canopy and I had difficulty getting knees under the mid-wing spar. My solution was to move the controls and then to drop the seat to the bottom of the fuselage. I also changed to a low wing but moving the seat downwards was what solved the problem. I owned a Corby Starlet some years ago and the Sonerai handles very similarly but the Sonerai is faster. Located in South Australia.

Back