• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oil change time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopndrag

Going to change the oil again while I out in New bypass springs. On the fence on viscosity. I am running 20w50 valvoline vr1 high zinc. Being in Florida should I stick with 20w50 or go to 10w30 to see if that helps any ?

Most of the time, I ran 10W-30. Castrol GTX for a long time, until I figured out it no longer had the ZDDP additive. Then, I switched over to Shell Rotella T6 10W-30 which has the additive, since most Diesel engines have flat tappets. The engine seemed to like it, both at high and low temps.

I like the Shell Rotella as well. The zinc level of the "C-rated" oils (commercial, normally used in diesel engines) is going to be around 1200 ppm while the "S-rated" oils (service, normally used in spark-ignited automotive engines) are going to be around 800 ppm. Although I buy the T4 (mineral oil) vs the T6 (synthetic). I've used 10W-30 in cold weather and 15W-40 in the summer. That all being said, I only have about 120 hours on my engine.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...268-c-9112.htm?tid=4731343577607042903&ipos=3
Fairly inexpensive and quite easy to find.

Watch out for oils that are both C and S rated. They will have the lower level of zinc (equal to the S-rated level)

Todd

Incremental reference material: https://www.api.org/~/media/files/c...iesel/publications/mom_guide_english_2013.pdf

Last edited:
Most of the time, I ran 10W-30. Castrol GTX for a long time, until I figured out it no longer had the ZDDP additive. Then, I switched over to Shell Rotella T6 10W-30 which has the additive, since most Diesel engines have flat tappets. The engine seemed to like it, both at high and low temps.
I used the vr1 again after I changed the oil bypass springs. The old springs were completely wrong. Front was half the diameter and almost a inch to short. Rear was replacement diameter but half inch to short. I now have oil pressure at around 60psi cold. Never did that before so I'm thinking my oil Never made it to my oil cooler.

I used the vr1 again after I changed the oil bypass springs. The old springs were completely wrong. Front was half the diameter and almost a inch to short. Rear was replacement diameter but half inch to short. I now have oil pressure at around 60psi cold. Never did that before so I'm thinking my oil Never made it to my oil cooler.

Attachments

• 20220330_194607.jpg
    20220330_194607.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I use straight weigh 30 and add STP for the zinc. Look at the old VW engine manuals on what oils to use. It's not a close tolerance water cooled engine.

My oil pressure was a bit low so I bought the Empi booster kit; same as in "chopndrag's" post above. The new springs were only slightly longer than the originals but the plungers/pistons were a couple thousandths of an inch larger in diameter so a better fit in the case. I don't know if the new plungers made the difference but that coupled with 20w50 oil boosted the pressure to 60+ psi cold.

My oil pressure was a bit low so I bought the Empi booster kit; same as in "chopndrag's" post above. The new springs were only slightly longer than the originals but the plungers/pistons were a couple thousandths of an inch larger in diameter so a better fit in the case. I don't know if the new plungers made the difference but that coupled with 20w50 oil boosted the pressure to 60+ psi cold.
Same thing. My pressure and temp is now great. $5 fix the v dub factory near me has everything and they ship

Même chose. Ma pression et ma température sont maintenant excellentes. 5 $ réparer l'usine v dub près de chez moi a tout et ils expédient
[/CITATION]
Bonjour Chopndrag,
Pensez-vous qu'il accoucherait en France ?
J'ai le même problème de basse pression dans mon moteur...
Bonjour Chopndrag, Pensez-vous qu'il livrerait en Françe ? J'ai le même problème de pression basse dans mon moteur ...

You're welcome. I don't think they have a website but from my experience they are the cheapest around and very knowledgeable when it comes to any questions about the vw platform. They also don't care if it's for a plane or car so it makes it easier to call for parts. Love the place and highly recommend anyone to use them . Prices are very cheap too compared to other companies.

Side note my oil temp will sit at 220 if I'm at 3000rpm anything above it rises so I have to chase down that gremlin still. I blocked off all exits so air only goes through the cooler but I'm thinking a bigger cooler and entrance and exit for the air.

Put in a 72 row oil cooler. See how that works compared to the 24 that was in it. Hopefully temps come down and I can just fly without worrying about oil temps

Which cooler are you using?
Now the empi 72 row . Was a 24 row bottom mount. Hey I was wondering how you did your exhaust. Is it really short stacks or bent and made to come flat to the cowl ? I am going to weld a mew exhaust up and try to do more streamline then just popping out the bottom

Just a note to ponder.... Fred flew his 2180 with a standard VW top mount oil cooler for many years without oil temperature issues. In fact, he had to block it off partially in the winter months due to low oil temps. I would look first to ensure adequate airflow before upsizing the existing cooler. I used the VW cooler on my Revmaster 2100D with good results. Your mileage may vary.

New note: I flew 1 hour with Empi oil pressure relief spring and plunger booster kit with no problems and had about 60 psi. The next time I took off, I noticed my oil pressure fluctuating so I landed immediately. Turned out I blew my oil cooler. I don't think the plungers got stuck since they fell out once I removed the bolts. I have the stock VW top mount oil cooler. I ordered and installed a new stock oil cooler and reinstalled my original oil relief springs and plungers. Oil pressure is lower but I feel better that there's less likelihood to over pressurize the oil cooler. Oil temps are good-rarely get above 180F.

Does anyone use Penn Grade 1 "green oil" as in the old circle track flat tappet cars?
Appears to have 1500 ppm zinc. I've seen mention of it in various VW notes but nothing recent.
(My interest is partly chauvinism - It used to be a local product, in Bradford, PA. Not sure where refined now, the home office is now in Indianna)

https://penngrade1.com/
smt

Back