• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oil Cooler Adapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soneraifred

Supporting Member
Attached is a drawing of the oil cooler adapter that I developed for my Sonerai IIL back in 1988. It has worked successfully on my original 1850 and my current 2180. The adapter is designed to allow the use of a standard VW Type 1 oil cooler on the top of a Type 1 or Type 3 VW engine in a Sonerai II cowling without modifying the cowling.

Attachments

• Oil Cooler Adapter.pdf
    898.9 KB · Views: 265
I really like this oil cooler set-up. I think this adapter in Fred's drawing is beyond my machine shop skills. If anyone has this standoff adapter they'd be willing to sell, I'd buy it. I'd also be interested in paying someone to make one for me. Jondor

Ed, thanks. I have the GPASC adapter but it bolts directly over the openings in the case which is about 1.5" too far forward and won't clear the cowling. Jon

Ed, you're right. I spoke to Linda at GPASC today and she confirmed they used to sell them but don't anymore due to lack of interest. They also don't have any left. Jon

For anyone who wants to machine (or have someone else machine) this adapter, I have a a bunch of aluminum bar/plate stock that you can have for the cost of the postage. Just send me your requirements, and I'll see what I have.

Just got my machine shop running and would be interested in getting a good mix of aluminum stock to make parts for plane and other things. Let me know what the cost on shipping would be for a good variety of stock or the lot. I tried to PM you but I kept getting an error message from the site. I will try to pm you again later.

Back