• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyw

2nd and current "Caretaker" N994SP
Supporting Member
Seems I've developed an oil leak.

Over the last couple of flights I've noticed more and more oil on the belly of 994SP. I've wiped it up each time, and searched for the leak. At first, I thought it might be a pushrod tube leaking. But, I'm pretty sure now that's not it. I thought it might be the breather, because there was almost no oil inside the bottom cowl, just some on the carb and around the firewall, breather tube end area. But, I pulled the breather tube and really cool gadget that acts like an air/oil separator, and inside the length of the breather tube is dry as a bone, so that's not it.

All the oil cooler fittings are dry, yet after this last flight the fire-sleeve on the lines to the oil cooler are dripping with oil. The leak is definitely getting worse. Now its probably 6 or 8 oz over a 2hr flight (she doesn't burn any oil). The belly was a mess all the way to the tailwheel. She's down till its fixed!

I see plenty of oil now between all the rows in the cooler. And, now there's oil spatter on the bottom cowl directly below the oil cooler. I'l pretty sure one of the cooler plates has developed a leak.

Has anyone else experience this? Is this a thing?

47692350062_f17842be35.jpg

The hardest thing to keep sealed on a VW engine seems to be the sump screen plate. Oil in the cooler and on the carb seems to jive with that theory....but it is only a theory....and worth everything you paid for it. Good luck, Kenny!

ATB,
Chucker

Chucker is correct, probably the sump screen cover on the bottom. Try replacing it with a silicone gasket and cnc aluminum replacement plate, the pressed steel plates are not terribly flat. The oil lines also look in need of upgrade to proper AN hardware, buy some braided line and proper AN fittings to replace that brass stuff.

http://www.ebaystores.com/Performance-Dynamics-Speed-Shop/AN-Hose-Ends-/_i.html?_fsub=9&_sid=106111246&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322] Hose end fittings [/url]

Also band-it clamps instead of safety wire for the fire sleeve, for a cleaner installation if you rebuild the oil lines.

Kenny,
Agree with the comments on the oil screen plate at the base of the engine - check all 6? nuts for tightness and the oil drain plug nut too.

Hey Ken, have to agree with the group on the screen gasket. I may have a gasket I can mail you.
For peace of mind you can remove the oil cooler (yes they can develop leaks) and clean it thoroughly then fill with mineral spirits and look for evidence of leakage. You can also plug one end and hold it underwater with 5psi of air into the other port and look for bubbles.
They are relatively inexpensive online, it’s a 24 row cooler.
V/R
Smokey

When I had the 4 cylinder Jabiru engine installed that exact oil cooler leaked. I may have dropped it once. Also it may have leaked at the female threaded fittings. You need to hold those fittings with a wrench and squeeze the two wrenches together, Lay the cooler on a mat not a vice and left the cooler move if it wants to when you tighten. I'm flying with a 20,000 BTU thermostatic oil cooler with the 6 cylinder Jabiru now. No leaks there.
Bill E

kennyw said:
Seems I've developed an oil leak.

Over the last couple of flights I've noticed more and more oil on the belly of 994SP. I've wiped it up each time, and searched for the leak. At first, I thought it might be a pushrod tube leaking. But, I'm pretty sure now that's not it. I thought it might be the breather, because there was almost no oil inside the bottom cowl, just some on the carb and around the firewall, breather tube end area. But, I pulled the breather tube and really cool gadget that acts like an air/oil separator, and inside the length of the breather tube is dry as a bone, so that's not it.

All the oil cooler fittings are dry, yet after this last flight the fire-sleeve on the lines to the oil cooler are dripping with oil. The leak is definitely getting worse. Now its probably 6 or 8 oz over a 2hr flight (she doesn't burn any oil). The belly was a mess all the way to the tailwheel. She's down till its fixed!

I see plenty of oil now between all the rows in the cooler. And, now there's oil spatter on the bottom cowl directly below the oil cooler. I'l pretty sure one of the cooler plates has developed a leak.

Has anyone else experience this? Is this a thing?

47692350062_f17842be35.jpg

Back