• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oil Temperature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucker

Supporting Member
I am getting ready to move my Revmaster from my single-seat project to Dave Wilcox's bird...N136DE. I did a ground run to clean out and lube the engine and to warm the oil for draining. I'll provide a link to the video below but here are some of the numbers...

I ran it between 3000 and 3400 RPM for about 30 minutes
OAT today is 100F.
Density Altitude is 8,280'
The engine is not cowled
Stock VW oil cooler mounted on top of engine
Oil is Castrol 5w-30
Prop is Sterba 54x46

Max CHT: 350F at 3000RPM and 375 at 3400RPM
Max Oil Temp: 230F
Min Oil pressure: 10psi per 1,000RPM
Max EGT: 875F

When I put oil back in the engine I will be using Amsoil 10w-30. The oil pressure is right on the number now and if it drops any lower, I will move up to 20w-50 for summer operations.

The engine has three hours since overhaul. Revmaster ran it for 45 minutes after they built it so the total time is 3+45. It may be a waste of time and money but I took an oil sample and sent it to the lab. I'll let you know what comes back. I opened the filter and found trace non-ferrous material in the element. I don't have any experience with reading oil filters so I'll just wait to see what the lab says.

HERE IS AN INTERESTING OBSERVATION

I read my oil temperature as it leaves the oil filter and passes through the pressure regulating and control valve (single-relief Universal engine case). I saw a maximum of 230F after over 20 minutes of static high power operation. With my infrared thermometer I read similar numbers on the pushrod tubes and engine case near the temperature probe. The interesting thing is that the plug in the lower right side of the case where Revmaster originally had the temperature probe read 50-60 degrees cooler. By my gauge, the oil had reached its maximum operating temperature. Had the probe been in the bottom of the case, I may have thought that I had 50 degrees to spare.

I am very interested to know everyone's thoughts on these temperatures and proper placement of the probe. I'm going to call Joe Horvath and hear what he has to say as well.

Motivational video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cio9arr1o3rhihn/2019-07-16%2013.22.33.mov?dl=0

ATB,
Chucker

Could you post a pic of where remaster had the oil probe, I am not familiar with there engines, thanks for the info. JOHN

Hi John,

Picture below. Its just below the #3 cylinder. I believe that Great Plains refers to that as the #2 cylinder. In any case...the one closest to your right foot.

OBTW,

Notice the stock valve covers? My engine lost nearly a pound switching from the aluminum covers and hardware. You just need to be sure that your rockers clear the covers. I have a Revmaster cam with .390" of lift.

Attachments

• 2019-07-18 09.34.40-1.jpg
    2019-07-18 09.34.40-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 113
I was going to purchase aluminum covers but now I think I will stick with stock. What is your compression ratio? Thanks John

Back