• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Open letter to membership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceair

Hello all, as of a phone conference this week, the Sonerai.net Board members have finished up the details and a workable plan to ensure the long term future of the Sonerai community and site.
In order to provide a stable future and isolate all of us from frivolous lawsuits, Sonerai.net, LLC is an official business entity. The Sonerai name is being used with Monnett's written approval. This LLC will be in the control of the elected (or appointed) board and will be transferred as new board members cycle thru. This has been a long process of investigation ans discussions with legal counsel which is why we have not been saying a whole lot about it up to now, and it is done.
Sonerai.net, LLC has ownership of nothing in actuality. The site and URL are leased. Anyone suing Sonerai.net, LLC will not be able to obtain the site or URL. At best, they will get any outstanding debts and the name of the LLC.
Here we can lay it all out, with the expenses we have, and will occur on an annual basis, and how we plan to pay for it. It is our intention to make all expenses and income known and public to members. Below are a list of expenses and brief descriptions.....
WEB SERVICE $1200 PER YEAR ($100.00 per month)

* Web Hosting
*URL Renewals
*Sonerai.net URL Lease
*Forum and Gallery Software
*Graphics Creation
*Updates, Development and Maintenance
*Backups and Archives

All web services are being provided by Scott Plischke, the originator of the site. Scott has been appointed as a permanent member of the Sonerai.net, LLC Board, however, his services are a paid subcontracted fee. To put these fees into perspective, IT professionals typically charge around $125 per hour. We can assure you Scott is putting far more time into the site than 45 minutes per month! His involvement goes way farther than just approving new memberships. He also did the creation, moniters and maintains it, is the hosts IT, purchases needed software and provides IT support. This amount of professional involvement is a great value.!!
LEGAL FEES
Fortunately, Jeff does enough business with his lawyer that he is willing to advise us at no cost. There may be fees involved in the future but for now we are set.
FILING FEES
The cost of filing was $155 which includes the filing fee and a fee to have the setup expedited. We expedited the process so that we would know quickly if there was something not approved about our application. As it turns out, everything was in order.
TAX PREPARATION
Taxes will have to be filed each year for the LLC. Jeff is listed as the organizer and will handle filing and fees. We are not sure of those costs as as we wont go thru the process till next spring. Jeff is also keeping and maintaining accurate financial records via Quickbooks Pro. Our fiscal date will be June 1.
This brings our year to date operating costs to $11ty bazillion dollars.
RAISING THE MONEY
Our solution as to the funding will be a small membership dues cost of
one dollar per month. This should generate, amongst 'active' members, about half of our yearly operating needs. The balance of the monies will have to come from two other sources...Donations, above and beyond the dues structure, and donated items/parts/artifacts, which can be auctioned off at our annual Oshkosh Sonerai Picnic, and On-Line.
Jeff will be the 'clearing house' for donated items, and will manage that end of the fund raising. Scott will be implementing an easy to use payment method within the website.

We hope that this provides a secure future for the Sonerai Group, and we are excited about the future..!!!!

Thanks for your patience, Ed Fisher, Sonerai.net, LLC Board

Excellent! Great work guys. These things are always much more complicated, expensive, and detail oriented than most of us think they are - kind of like building an aircraft.

I will be sending dues and a donation as soon as the function is available, to do my part to help.

Thank you Board Members!

Tom

Thank youall for your hard work. I look forward to doing my part as Tom stated when that has been set up. I just hope it starts while I am on days off.

Looking forwad to the future of Sonerai.net!

Scott R

Just a thought but how about selling or for increased dues including a Sonerai t-shirt/hat in a few colors (grass green must be one). Approaching GreatPlains about supporting one of their revenue generators would be another idea.

The basic concern about corporate sponsorship is that it may skew conversation. For example, company X becomes a major supporter of S.net. Company X puts out a truly bad product. This puts us in a bad position. We would not want to offend our sponsor but at the same time we have an unwritten obligation to protect our members.

Thanks for the feedback. Please keep it coming!

A little more detail about the money to raise. Scott began restructuring S.net in January. Right now, we are in debt $655. Scott has graciously fronted his time to get things up and running and I put up the money for the LLC (since I set it up). Scott is waiting on me to get our checking account set up so that he can get our paypal account set up for donations. We should be set with these items within the week.

What does membership give you?

- The ability to post
- The ability to view attachments
- A cool guy badge by your name
- The knowledge that you are part of a community that is committed to helping others!
- Reprive from Scott's "ban hammer" - just kidding ;D

Thanks for all of your patience and support!

Hi Jeff,
for the sponsoring problem, I think we can do it in this kind:
separate Sponsor site (between Members and Logout) with Logos
max. Company-Sponsor-Donation = $200 per year (all above will be clipped)
Donation Bill in PDF by mail to the Sponsor-Company

I think I can meet with Edith, so we can be one of the first sponsor companies:
http://www.thiesen-electronics.com

with best regards
Juergen

Hi all
especially our board members big thanks
I am in for fee and donation (extra for t shirt)
green would be good for t shirt and while your at it you might as well chuck in gold for luck
best to all
dave

Thanks for the hard work, guys. I'd be interested in a T-Shirt option, too!

I'm curious if you plan to file for 501(c)(3) tax status? Since you created an LLC, and not a C corp, I suspect not. (LLCs as non-profit entities are unusual, but not unknown). It has some advantages to both the company and to the community, but its also a lot of work, so it is certainly understandable if you decided against this!

For you non-US folks, (and without getting too technical here), a 501(c)(3) corporation is one set up as a non-profit charity. The number refers to the section in the US tax code that defines this kind of organization. As for LLC vs. C corp, think of an LLC (Limited Liability Company) as a small, lightweight corporation.

BTW, I'm not presenting myself as an expert in any way, as I am neither an accountant nor a lawyer, but I have been through both the LLC and non-profit creation process before, so I understand how much work is involved.

Bill

:)Hey All,

Thanks guys

I'm in as well, we all know what we have here!!!

MarkW

Good to see some developments in this field. If I decide to stick around (read on...) I'll certainly become a sponsor.

About my 'sticking around': the family is complaining a lot lately that I should search a plane with more utilitly (you know the drill: more payload/range, etc. so that I'll be able to use the plane for family & business trips). With two exceptions, I've been using the S-II for local solo sorties only - and the family would rather be part of what I do up there... I've got some 20 flights and 20 hours on my S-II now, but I'd rather keep the family involved somehow - as long as they still want to be a part of it... I'm still on the fence about selling, but I'm definitely eyeing towards other aircraft now....

cheers
Hans

Bummer. Hans you have been a good member to have in this forum. I got my 195lbs into the front of Dave Wilcox Sonerai and he has half the leg room used up with Continental. How big are your family that they can't fly with you? Crosscountry in Europe? Is not the train really better that private flying?
-Pete ???

Hi Folks,

As agreed to by the Sonerai.net Board, paid subscriptions is now in effect. For $12 per years ($1/month), you will gain permission to post to the forum, upload to the gallery, view full size photos, use the private messaging system, and much more. You'll also receive a badge by your name to show your support for Sonerai.net.

To become a paid member with full privileges...

Step 1. Register first. Many of you have already done so and can skip this step.

Step 2. Login to your Sonerai.net account.

Step 3. Subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button on the top menu.

We use PayPal for safe and secure online transactions but you do not need a PayPal account to subscribe. Simply click "Pay using your credit or debit card" on the PayPal page to complete the transaction. Sorry, we do not accept cash, checks or money orders at this time.

-Scott

If you prefer to pay for a subscription by personal check, make a check out to Sonerai.net, LLC and mail to:

Sonerai.net, LLC
2601 Runway Dr.
Hanger 6
Waupaca, Wi 54981

The cost is $12.00 per year. You can pay for more than one year ($24 for two years for example) to avoid the hassle and cost of mailing checks.

Use the Contact form on the main menu to let us know when your check is mailed so that we can give you full website privileges while the check clears.

-Scott

Back