• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Part Ordering Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonfilipa

Supporting Member
So I'm getting close to wrapping up the fuselage for a IILS and am looking to buy a bunch of the parts that are now offered through Sonex. Looking for any experience, thoughts, advice, etc prior to spending some $$.

Tailwheel - Per email feedback from Sonex while they list a Sonerai tailwheel spring they only have 1 in stock and are not making anymore. Feedback was that Sonerai builders can substitute the tail spring tube with a 3/4” .058 wall tube (or sleeve the existing tube to 5/8” ID) and use the Sonex titanium tail spring and AeroConversions Machined Tailwheel Assemblies (4” or 6”). Seems reasonable, but was curious as to whether:
- Anyone else has used a Sonex tailwheel on a Sonerai and what their experience has been
- I'm thinking of going with a 4" tailwheel as I don't see any real upside to the 6" (heavier) but am open to feedback

Brakes - I like the simplicity of the AeroBrake hydraulic brakes as offered thru Sonex. Not looking for STOL stopping power, just something reasonable and maintenance friendly.
- Anyone used these on a Sonerai?
- Email feedback from Sonex plus my eyeball test says the OneX installation package could very likely be incorporated in a straight forward manner to the standard landing gear. Any thoughts?

Trim System - The Aeroconversions trim system seems pretty straight forward and seems similar to the type of system others on this site I know have used. Again, curious as to whether anyone else has used the Sonex version of this on a Sonerai.

Wheels - likely going to go with the 5" Asuza. Sonex sells the 1136 model with 3/4" ID sealed tapered roller bearing. Will do a little price comparison but will likely go with these.

Wheel Pants - Per Sonex feedback can use either the Sonex or the Sonerai wheel pants. They sell both. Easy default is to go with the Sonerai pants, but looking for any feedback/experience for anyone using the Sonex pants.

Additional comment - Since I see that Sonex now offers ribs, spar channels, taper pins, wing tips, etc I'll be purchasing those as well. I realize it's a little more cash but I'm getting to the point where time saved is becoming more valuable.

Apologize for the lengthy thread, but just looking for feedback to make as reasonably as intelligent and $ effective purchase as reasonably possible.

Jon

I used a Sonex 4" tailwheel. Works great. Make sure the axle bolt is clamped up properly so that the wheel turns on the bearings. It may or may not need a washer stack up of some sort between the caster forks and the wheel.

Back