• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Parting out my Sonerai IIL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John B

I had a heart attack earlier this year and lost my medical which disqualifies me for even the Basic Med option until I jump through the FAA hoops and spend a bunch of money to get a special issuance. So, I have made the decision to part out my Sonerai IIL. I am doing this because I don't want to risk any future liability so won't be selling it with its airworthiness cert or data plate.

About the airplane. It was first flown in 1992 and has about 450 hours on it. Below are the things I am selling and their asking prices. I am always open to negotiation. Obviously the bigger items you would have to pick up or arrange your own shipping. The smaller items I will ship for exact shipping cost. I took the airplane out of service a few years ago for a refresh and would have had it ready to go this spring if it weren't for the medical issues.

Engine - 2275 cc VW with forged counterwieghted crank, shrink fit prop hub, hydraulic lifters, HAPI accessory case with starter and automotive field excited alternator. Bosch 009 distributor ignition with electronic ignition module. The alternator is driven off the crank like a mag would be so there are no belts. Been that way for about 300 hours and works great. Uses a Lovejoy spider coupling. Oil cooler is a VW with the great plains adapter to reverse it over the engine case. The engine was just refreshed with new rings, valves and bearings and I hand polished the crank when it was out. I've uploaded a short video of the engine after I got it running. https://youtu.be/RVN5BBpfs44 I use a Dellorto dual-throat side draft carb, and it works good. Will include even if you don't use it. $1900

Prop - Sterba 54-50 I believe is the size. Good shape, no nicks or anything. $200

Landing gear - This is the thick gear, I think it is 5/8" or maybe 3/4". It was the thick one that Great Plains was selling back in the day. $250

Wheels brakes and tires - 5" Cleveland wheels axles and brakes. Brake disks have surface rust that needs to be cleaned up but usable after that. No leaks in the brakes, not sure how good the pads are. This was going to be one of the next refresh items to tackle. I'll include the tires and tubes which have a little life left in them if rotated. $250

Wheel pants. One piece pants cut out for 5.00 x 5 tires. They are a little rough right now but can easily be fixed up. $75for the pair

Gas tank - The tank is a 10 gallon aluminum that has had some weld repair on the seams. No leaks but the welds are a bit big. $150

Wings - Have the S-mod and were just re-painted. One wing has the streamlined mount for a heated pitot and the pitot is included. One wing has a small dent from a runway light when I mistakenly let someone else fly the plane (my dad). It is a small dent in the underside skin just forward of the front spar only that doesn't affect structural integrity or flight performance. This happened when the airplane had about 100 hours, so it has flown about another 350 since then. I will also include the taper pin reamers for the wing buyer so they can fit them to their carry thru. $1000

The fuselage is heavily modified into a single seat with the firewall station moved aft, so could never be a 2 seat airplane again. Not planning to sell the fuselage, but put it out there before someone asked. The tail surfaces are strut braced and not to plans so will probably just destroy them.

I'm planning on just building something like a Legal Eagle that I don't need any medical or anything to fly, and just want to make room in the hangar, so make me offers on the stuff listed or anything else. I only have a few pictures right now but will add more when I can get to the hangar again. The picture on the ramp are from several years ago. The ones with it disassembled are recent.

Thanks for you consideration,

John Brannen

Attachments

• 2004-06-25 @ 15-17-21  0790.JPG
    2004-06-25 @ 15-17-21 0790.JPG
    747.7 KB · Views: 648
  • 2004-06-25 @ 16-44-42  0816mod (3).jpg
    2004-06-25 @ 16-44-42 0816mod (3).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 562
  • 20180413_143819.jpg
    20180413_143819.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 473