• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Performance Measurements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschrom

I've been curious about Vy because I've never really checked it so today after eating lunch at a nice little airport with a paved runway 65 s.m. away I made several takeoffs and climbs to 1000' AGL. This isn't the way to measure ROC per se but it's a valid comparison. The method:
-Taxi to takeoff position
-Start timer.
-Push throttle in.
-Take off and stay low until reaching test speed.
-Climb at test speed to 1000' AGL.

Results:
85 mph, 1:17
90 mph, 1:27
100 mph, 1:28
110 mph, 1:30.

I was surprised that 85 gave the shortest time. Would have guessed 90-100. But there are lots of potential sources of error in my data recording so a repeat isn't a bad idea. And if it comes out the same 80 would be the next to try.

Some other interesting stats... Cruise to and from this airport was at 24" MAP, ~3250 rpm, 137 IAS at 3500' and 140 IAS at 2500'. Outside air temperature on the ground was mid to upper 50s.

Total flight time for the day was 2.1 hr and there were 5 takeoffs total, as well as the usual idling on the ground. I burned 6.7 gal. 6.7/2.1 = 3.2 gph average fuel consumption. Economy like that from a plane that will cruise at 140 is hard to beat.

Ed
2LS with GP 2276 and Sterba 54 x 46 prop

Nice info. What is the empty weight and stall speed of your 2LS ? thanks

eschrom said:
545 lb and 55 mph.
Hey eschrom...that is some great performance info you posted..Thanks! ..kinda sets a bar!

I am curious as to what kind of extra goodies are installed in your bird or are you running a "spartan" cockpit and engine bay? Mine is a G.P. 2074cc VW powered 2L, with recently installed starter system & batt., EFIS & panel to support it, and a newly fab'd CB/switch panel. Mine gained 47 lb.
New empty weight is 620 lb.
Just wondering how you got your 'stretch 2L' to be so "Light & Lively"?
Nicely done! ;)

Thanks. No extra goodies on my plane, no starter, no wing fold hardware. Wheels and brakes are of the go-cart variety. Basic paint job and unpainted wings. No gadgets in the cockpit - I navigate by compass and paper chart, to the amusement of almost everyone I know. It also helps that I myself weigh in at only 135 lb. The best advice I know is keep it light.

Ed

eschrom said:
Thanks. No extra goodies on my plane, no starter, no wing fold hardware. Wheels and brakes are of the go-cart variety. Basic paint job and unpainted wings. No gadgets in the cockpit - I navigate by compass and paper chart, to the amusement of almost everyone I know. It also helps that I myself weigh in at only 135 lb. The best advice I know is keep it light.

Ed
After reading your specs, I can clearly see that (your) bird is a very happy one! With me tipping scales at 200 plus change, and all of my additions...my bird will have to; 'work-for-it', as will I. LOL! ;D
As far as dedicated compass and chart navigation in this digital GPS era, the fundamentals will ALWAYS be, "The Old Reliable". Always worked 'then' and will always work now.
Thx for responding.

Back