• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pitot Tube locking connection.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMartin

I know the pitot tube is pushed into the block and probably works fine without it falling out.
Me being me I keep thinking "what if" it fell out?
I'll be making a pitot tube on the lathe and was considering using a locking connector.
Anyone use something like this?

pitottube_connector.png

Check it on your pre-flight and it won't fall out. Remember KISS, and " If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

On my airplane, I mounted an aluminum block on the inside of the RH tip rib. The block is drilled with a 3/8” drill on the front side, and drilled and tapped for 1/8” NPT pipe thread on the back side. The pitot tube is a piece of 3/8” OD x .035” wall aluminum tubing that gets inserted into the 3/8” hole. I put a thin layer of silicone sealer to seal the tube and lock it in place. Once the silicone has dried, the pitot tube will not “fall” out. It must be twisted and pulled with some force to get it out. Just a side note: I used 1/4” ID Tygon tubing for both the pitot and static lines. It’s been in the airplane for almost 34 years, and it is still as flexible as day one.

On my airplane, I mounted an aluminum block on the inside of the RH tip rib. The block is drilled with a 3/8” drill on the front side, and drilled and tapped for 1/8” NPT pipe thread on the back side. The pitot tube is a piece of 3/8” OD x .035” wall aluminum tubing that gets inserted into the 3/8” hole. I put a thin layer of silicone sealer to seal the tube and lock it in place. Once the silicone has dried, the pitot tube will not “fall” out. It must be twisted and pulled with some force to get it out. Just a side note: I used 1/4” ID Tygon tubing for both the pitot and static lines. It’s been in the airplane for almost 34 years, and it is still as flexible as day one.

Good info on the tubing. I don't have a hangar and will store the plane in a trailer so the pitot tube will be removed often as to not accidentally hitting it and breaking it off while the wings are being folded.

Back