• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plans question: Page 3 Detail C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvanheerden

Hi All,
Newbe question(s):

- The Sonerai I plans page 3, detail C apparently show a 24" tube INSIDE a 48" tube. Am I reading this wrong?
- If it is inside, I then presume it is centered and rosette welded?
- Any guidance will be appreciated.

Also: what is the widest tolerable gap for a weld when joining the 3/8" .035 tubing?

Markus van Heerden

Hi Markus,

Welcome!

Regarding the Sonerai I plans, page 3, detail C, take a look at the additional information on the 'Corrections' page:

normal_image~19.jpg

I think that will answer your question

Best regards,
Joe

Not sure I can understand. Could not find it in any gallery. Does anyone have a photo of this?

henka said:
Not sure I can understand. Could not find it in any gallery. Does anyone have a photo of this?

That is strange, Is the photo of the plans that I provided not showing?

24" tube goes inside, is centered, and then welded to the outer tube with six 1" long bead welds along the bottom. These welds are then filed for fitment

Or are you asking for a photo of a fuselage with the tubing installed? If so, I'll see if I can get a good photo for you off of my S1.

What Joe says is true. The 24" long tube is centered in the 48" long tube. When the top longerons and diagonals are welded to the 48" tube, the inside tube will be locked in place by the distortion caused be the welding. There is no need to rosette weld the tubes together.

Thank you, was just wondering about the "carefully to tight fit" :-\

Ok, just checked my fuselage. Mine has two rosettes on the inner tube and no 1" beads.

Much thanks Joe and Fred!

I guess the reason for it is; for internal strengthening of the 48" tube.

I plan to make this part today.

I think I'm going with the two outermost 1" beads and two rosette welds combination!

Regards
Markus

Back