• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello . On page 13 in the Sonerai 1 plans a drawing shows the area position between 3 to 4 ( firewall to sparbox ) It states:- this area covered with.025 alum all round. and tabs for alum skin welded (sparbox ) as for rudder post fairing ,use quantity of tabs to suit all round . Also secure skin this end with 6/32 flat head screws all round to firewall .
I have not seen any photos or read about this. Has anyone done this? Could it replace the rear part of the cowling ?
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Steve.

Steve,
My project (which was started by someone else) was an early start that closely followed the plans and prototype. That said, many of the changes I have been incorporating came from lessons learned that were posted in the Sonerai Newsletters or from what I have experienced building and flying experimental aircraft over the years.
When I get to the fuselage, I intend to bring the fiberglass nosebowl back to the Station #3 tabs on the aft spar box vertical. This will likely mean I have to scab on an extension to the Supervee nosebowl. From that point aft, the fuselage will be covered in fabric. This seems to be an efficient way to allow the bottom of the fuselage to maintain that upward curve that flows into the forward part of the nosebowl. Check out Kevin Ross’s gallery (More S-1) for an excellent depiction of this design execution. The S-II LTS I have flown was also constructed this way. The tabs will have nut plates riveted to them to allow the nosebowl to be fastened with machine screws.

John

Back