• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Potential s1 engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguyeddy

Would an engine weighing in at 130 pounds and around 40-45 horsepower be enough to power a s1 safely? Yes, its a little down on power but it also weighs less than the vw. Just curious. Engine is the 4a084 that has been used sucessfully on minimaxes for a number of years.

Good point, the 1600 may not make 60 hp, but I think with less that you would struggle to get in the air, using a lot of runway and taking a while to get safe flying speed and a reasonable climb. I think a light 1835cc would do well. Again, just my opinion.
Kevin

Flyguyeddy said:
Would an engine weighing in at 130 pounds and around 40-45 horsepower be enough to power a s1 safely? Yes, its a little down on power but it also weighs less than the vw. Just curious. Engine is the 4a084 that has been used sucessfully on minimaxes for a number of years.

Ed,
Kevin makes a great point. From personal experience I bolted a blueprinted GP1835 (60HP) that weighed 145lbs into an S2 that ended up weighing 557lbs full up. Performance solo with a Sterba 54-46 at 800 MSL off my grass strip was superb. 90mph Climb at 800-1000 FPM, cruise 128mph @ 3000RPM.

I wouldn't bolt anything less than an 1835 (60HP) in any Sonerai myself, FYI.
V/R
Smokey

Back