• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Puller for tail spring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skycrew

Andy Bisceglia
Supporting Member
Well I went out to the hangar to see how far I'd get with installing my new Sonex 4" wheel and spring assembly. Removed the rudder and access plate, and spring retaining bolt. put a set of vise grips on it and gave it a few smacks... No Joy, not even a 1/16". I'm thinking I'm going to straighten it out, put a puller weight over it and try pull it out that way. Thoughts/advice/experience??

rig up a slide hammer. Picture to give you some idea. Also, saturate the area with a little penetrating oil and let it sit for awhile (might need a drip pan).

On another note, if you're gonna use that "titanium" tail-spring that Sonex sells, you're probably gonna have to make a bushing to interface the spring to the fuselage. And, you're probably going to have to find a machine shop that will do small one-off jobs to drill the holes. You'll have to "locate" the mount bolt for them, then show them how the tail wheel fork bolts mount in relation (this must be precise or you will have problems).

Being titanium, its not going to be cheap or simple. If it was me, I'd look for a stainless tail spring that could be adapted.

Here's a link to the post I make about my API tailwheel setup: https://www.sonerai.net/threads/tapered-tail-wheel-spring.5285/#post-40216

16a7a9e2939ba43f.png

Last edited:
Thanks Kenny,
that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Fortunately I am a machinist by trade and I have a lathe and drill press in my shop so turning the spring down and locating the holes should not pose too much of a challenge. Just need to get the old spring out. Yours looks sweet!

a quick update.. I finally got the @#*%! tail spring off! I took a pipe wrench to it with a pipe over the wrench for leverage which finally cracked it. I was able to work it out from there.
Now.. I bought the new Sonex tailwheel assy. and the titanium spring, anyone retrofit one yet, with the steering rod? I had to sleeve it to properly fit the chromoly tube. I also fabbed up a push pull rod but I just don’t like the geometry. Any help appreciated!

Back