• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Purchase Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Lewis1

Im in the process of buying a Sonerai IIL, low wing. What paperwork do I need to make sure I have? Still in project phase, nothing else. Next question, where can I go to get the complete process of building in order to keep the FAA happy? EAA?

I have a Sonerai IIL for sale. I am Harry McKay and my user name is: freeinhim. You should be able to see some pics of my plane in albums(N747VG). I flew it twice (short hops) because the cooling was not right (cylinder head temp was way too high). The a/c was flown by the original owner/builder 5,700 times (Victor Giles who has since passed away. I have all logs. I had to purchase two brand new heads ($1000) and rings which are installed and the engine is running. The previous owner installed a zenith carburetor (good) but cut out too much of the cowl (and did not realize it) so therefore did not reglass open areas which stopped the required cooling air flow thru the Cylinders. Thus cracking the heads. Engine was rebuilt by builder and has approx. 300 hours on it. I bought a new baffle kit and oil cooler (to mount on top of the engine) from Sonex. That is to be installed. It is on it's own trailer and can be trailered anywhere. It needs fiberglass cowl work, fabricate a air box to the carb, decision to keep the belt prop shaft driven alternator on the front of the engine to the original rear crankshaft driven alternator. Builder had the original alternator go out and he installed the front driven alt. It has the heavier spring steel gear, transponder, ELT, single lever brakes, mag and electronic ignition(dual plugs). It flew like a mini fighter. I am 72 and it is a little hot for me on the ground handling. I am open to reasonable offers on the plane. I can be reached at 813-610-8226 or [email protected]

James,

For a project (so an plane that hasn't had an airworthiness certificate before) you'll need to prove the aircraft has been built 50% by the builder when complete - build logs/pictures. If its in the early stages of the build then your logs and pictures should be suitable to register and apply for the airworthiness certificate when the time comes. You'll then become the 'manufacturer'. Get a set of drawings and compare each element of the build to the drawings to figure out what stage of construction the project has reached. Get your hands on any build logs and pictures that exist. This is an essential part of your build and will provide a comprehensive understanding of your project. Sonerai drawings and CD's (a collection of all the 'old' news letters) can be purchased, I'm guessing, from Sonex Aircraft (was Sonerai Works until a month or so ago.)

Back