• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

rear spar attachment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Priory

Happy new year everyone!

I need to replace a rear spar attachment point on the right hand wing of a sonerai II mid wing. Will i need to remove and replace the entire rear spar section?

Not had chance to look at the wing in much detail yet, as currently miles away from where the aircraft is stored... I was under the impression that this attachment section is riveted to the rear spar and so can be replaced without removing the entire spar??

I don't have a full copy of the plans, so any advise is appreciated!

Just to clarify, the section I need to replace is the section on the wing where rear spar taper pin hole is. The rear spar carry thru on the fuselage section is also being replaced.

The rear spar tang that fits into the rear spar carry-thru is made from a pair of 1-1/4" x 1/8" 2024-T3 bars that are riveted to the rear spar channel with 1/8" AD solid rivets. It should be relatively easy to remove the original bars by drilling out the original rivets. The hard part would be riveting the replacement bars back onto the channel without de-skinning a portion of the wing. It may be possible to reach in thru the lightening holes in the root rib using a special bucking bar, but I've never tried it.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for that, just as i thought. Once i get the wings home i will see if i can get enough access, or if i will have to de-skin an area, and will post pictures of the offending item!

Ok, so this is what I found on the port wing rear spar attachment! Hence the reason I intend to replace it during the refurb of my sonerai II

Was this third time lucky with the drill or something??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 144
Back