• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Reduction drive for vw type 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theoderich

Hello Everyone! I hope you are all fine so far! I am wondering how a reduction drive would be on a vw type 1 engine?
If we have a 2.2l engine that would be very powerful! So just a comparison to the rotax 912 engine with 1,2l engine.
You could hardly fly with the torque the 912 has has without reduction drive. So I think a reduction drive would be awesome with of course the right prop. Please give me your input! Many thanks!

Fitting it in the cowl and increased weight are 2 BIG considerations. Lines of a Sonerai are beautiful in my opinion, good luck keeping any of that with a redrive.

I agree 100%. Just depends on the goal. I like the Yamaha snowmobile engine conversions idea. Weight is reasonable and lots of HP. Yamaha has a turbo charged unit 200hp, I think it is in the sidewinder snowmobile. I'm hoping someone takes the time to convert it to aircraft. There is a 150hp yamaha conversion on YouTube. Simomini has a 110hp water cooled, 2cylinder, 2 cycle gear reduced engine, only 114lbs. I always thought that would be fun in a Sonerai 2.

Back