• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Remove the Front Spring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschrom

I’m hoping a few VW experts out there can offer an opinion…

The valve at the pump end of the case directs oil either to the cooler or around it. Cold, thick oil means high pressure, causing the valve to open and oil to flow directly to the gallery. But after the oil is hot the pressure drops and the valve closes, forcing oil through the cooler before it goes to the gallery.

In my case the pump is modified for full flow and the cooler ports are plugged. So what purpose does the valve serve in that case? What will it hurt to remove the spring entirely, as long as I make sure the drain back to sump is blocked so the oil can’t short circuit? Has anyone ever tried that?

The reason I’m interested is that I’ve learned that quite a high pressure spike is needed to initially open the valve, about 80 psi. I would like to avoid that spike on my remote mounted cooler and filter, which are upstream of the valve.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

Attachments

• oilsystem.png
    oilsystem.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 55
Great article on VW lubrication:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280293

How large is your pump?

Perhaps your high pressures when cold are a result of the pressure control valve not being able to handle the volume.

Personally, in a dual relief case with no top mounted oil cooler, I don't see any utility in the pressure relief piston and spring. As long as the drain port is blocked, the piston and spring could be removed.

That said, I don't think that 80psi should damage an oil cooler. If you are getting pressures over 80psi, the problem is likely the pressure control piston's inability to handle the volume.

80 psi was in my garage using air pressure at room temperature. In cold weather I'm sure it's higher. I'm only using an automotive filter, not a high pressure type, so I would like to keep the pressure modest.

I can't see a downside to trying it. I will see a lower pressure on the gauge but the flow to the bearings will be exactly the same. When the heads come back from having the second plug hole added I'll give it a shot.

Thx,
Ed

Back