• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Replacement propeller choices & current options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shocktrooper

What does the forum members say/think about current choices for a new prop?
My original (Props Inc. 52x45) now has a shallow crack in the front face of one of the blades due to a knuckle-head landing I made a few weeks ago! I had been been up for just over 1.8 hobbs hrs. and was suffering from cold feet, low back pain & "git-down-itus"! The sod field was very wet and I overshot trying to touchdown just beyond a large puddle I failed to notice before I took off. Its amazing how standing water can be seen so clearly from above on a sunny day! This landing was post-2nd go-around and when I finally got her planted tail down firm, I was still too fast and almost 1/2 way down the 3000+feet field. Tall pines just beyond both ends so no further options than to lock it all up and pray. I skidded with engine at idle & both wheels locked for several hundred feet on the soggy grass, and off the end of the runway into briars and brush. No ground loop but it did nose over a bit and comeback down on the tailwheel when she entered the brush. This was a light strike with the prop windmilling at idle and it stopped the engine.
I also damaged both wheel pants and the spinner. The pants can be repaired and repainted...the spinner lost a layer of material in a single spot but not sure if I can repair it without balance issues afterward. Broke off the pitot tube just forward of the leading edge...looks like a simple brass tube, nothing fancy. Engine still rotates (by hand) without any noted binding, etc. and prop hub still looks ok. No other visible or obvious damage noted.
After talking with a VW aviation conversions pro, consensus is to hang a new prop, chain her down and perform 3 WOT ground runs for 3-5min duration each with max CHT temp limits adhered to, watch for abnormal ops & vibration and then drop oil and screen, and check for metal, etc, etc.

My plane was running & flying fantastic before this goof, and I will woe that day forever! Hard and expensive lesson(s) learned.
I am a retired A&P but a new and low time pilot (w/ TW endorsement). I have accumulated just over a mere 7+ hours in my Sonerai 2L.
I find this bird to be loud-as-H^^^ inside, pretty demanding in the energy management and yaw control areas of flight, and a somewhat cramped cockpit for my 200LB 5-11 frame. After 2 hrs. or so of flying it, I am MORE than ready to get out of it and walk around a bit.
You guys chime in whatever ya think... no need to beat me down eh?...I feel bad enough as it is and won't NEVER forget my own "Day of Infamy"! :-[ "NO-NO-NOooooobodys fault but MINE" ref. Led Zeppelin ::)

P.S. I spoke directly with owner of Props Inc.last week and he (sadly) informed that they are shutting down for his retirement and will not be making anymore new props. Mine was a very fine example of his craftsmanship...I would have bought another duplicate if I could.

Ed Sterba is probably the most popular prop maker for Sonerai's. What size is your VW and what prop hub is on it?

Mytonic said:
Ed Sterba is probably the most popular prop maker for Sonerai's. What size is your VW and what prop hub is on it?
My engine is a GPAS (2074cc true) with (what I believe is) a Force One hub...looks like a large single bolt holds it onto the crankshaft.
To further advise...I did not build this plane...am 4th owner...still learning the maint. techniques on it.
As additional FYI; I removed the prop & put a dial indicator on the front face of the hub, and did note some fluctuations across 360 degrees of rotation, exceeding .005", and one bolt hole was slightly elongated with a slightly bent bolt...same area of cracked blade.
After I reinstalled the prop/engine for the electric starter system install last summer, I did note that the blade track was a little beyond 1/8th diff., but decided to run and fly the combo as-is and noted no perceived vibrations, or abnormal ground/flight characteristics. I bet pulling that hub off could be a real bear!? I would venture to guess it has never been removed since plane was built circa 1982!

I don't have any actual time yet in a Sonerai.
However, i read that the prop on the 2L i've bought was a much modified Sterba (Started as 54 x 52)on the GP 2276.
In doing what you are doing and checking options ahead, i contacted Cloudcar props, and the response was positive, they may have some in that range "ready to go".
I decided that since (my) fuselage is still in Canada and there is known work to be done after retrieving, that discussing propellers further might be premature for me at this time. I was interested in performance and waiting period, did not ask about price.

smt

From the front of the engine case to the front of the flange on the face of the hub

When I installed the “Ultimate 1835” on 994SP it included a Props Inc 54-47 and Spinner from the previous Q2 it was flying in. The Props Inc hub as mentioned is thinner than. The Ed Sterba however Saber Mtg right here in N TX custom produced a nice extension for the 69mm VW GP crank flange which allowed the use of Scott’s original Spinner and backplate. The props Inc prop was smooth but overpitched for the S2 and sold shortly thereafter.

I ordered a 54-46 from Ed Sterba as I had a previous Sterba prop on my original RV4. Ed’s props are excellent and perform very well but tend to develop HP at higher RPMs which for a VW is good. 994SP performed nearly the same before and after the Sterba switch however, takeoff and climb greatly improved.

You won’t be disappointed with Ed’s prop, just plan on trimming your spinner and needing a bit more bolt length for the thicker hub.

V/R
Smokey

Chucker,
54-46 is dead on perfect for the airframe and HP. Static was 2400, takeoff and climb at 90mph 2900-3000. Max at 3000" 3550. Kenny Im sure has additional perf numbers. I installed the new prop right before he purchased 994SP.
Ed actually has recommended pitch numbers for given HP on Sonerais that he has utilized in the past. Remember that he owned a 1835 powered S2 for 15 years and over 1000 hours with very little maintenance other than oil changes, plugs and bolt torque. He also was Editor of the Sonerai newsletter for an extended period.
In a word, he speaks Sonerai!

V/R
Smokey

I'm running a Sterba 54X46 on a 2180 GPAS. Static is 3100 and WOT level flight is 3600 rpm at 2000 msl. I estimate 1000 fpm climb at 120 mph IAS and at WOT an indicated airspeed of 175 mph.

The 54X46 gives me plenty of climb and a smooth cruise rpm of 3100.

Previous prop was a Sterba 54X48 2900 static and 3400 WOT. Less overall performance albeit acceptable.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Those numbers sound about right.... I just can't imagine that an 1835 would spin the same prop fast enough to develop good hp in a climb.

Come on Smokey! Inquiring minds want to know. If that 1835 turns anything close to 3000 RPM it really is the "Ultimate 1835!"

How about Caretaker Number 2? What is your static RPM Kenny?

ATB,
Chucker

Chucker,
2400 was the Props Inc static, I misprinted..
Sterba (as I remember) 2900 static. 3000 climb, 3100 Cruise, 3550 145 mph Max RPM, similar to Kevin. Realize the Ultimate 1835 runs VERY strong thanks to multiple improvements by the engine builder.
The Props Inc produced 2400 static, 2700 climb at 90 but surprisingly produced nearly equal performance speed/climb numbers at lower RPM and ran 140 mph flat out Max RPM at 3150.

V/R
Smokey

PS: I tested Nine different props on my RV4 over the 10 years I owned it and found Props are certainly Rocket Science. The best ever tested was my Gary Hertzler Silver Bullet made in Phoenix. Gary is a Long EZ guy and AE who makes them in his Mesa garage custom order. Amazing performance.

Smokyray said:
When I installed the “Ultimate 1835” on 994SP it included a Props Inc 54-47 and Spinner from the previous Q2 it was flying in. The Props Inc hub as mentioned is thinner than. The Ed Sterba however Saber Mtg right here in N TX custom produced a nice extension for the 69mm VW GP crank flange which allowed the use of Scott’s original Spinner and backplate. The props Inc prop was smooth but overpitched for the S2 and sold shortly thereafter.

I ordered a 54-46 from Ed Sterba as I had a previous Sterba prop on my original RV4. Ed’s props are excellent and perform very well but tend to develop HP at higher RPMs which for a VW is good. 994SP performed nearly the same before and after the Sterba switch however, takeoff and climb greatly improved.

You won’t be disappointed with Ed’s prop, just plan on trimming your spinner and needing a bit more bolt length for the thicker hub.

V/R
Smokey

Just to inform all that responded to my inquiry...got a Sterba 54x46 ordered and in the build process as I type. Gonna also need a new spinner anyway...
I am confident that the 'Sterba' will be the best choice and..."when (you Sonerai guys) speak; people listen...especially me!
Thx much gents!
I will awake this thread again when I have some news or performance data to share that is relative.
S.T. out....

Back