• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

RevMaster 2100D Serial Numbers and Oil Coolers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougrybs

Ok so they don't seem to be related, but I swear there's a definitive connection. I saw a thread in the engine discussions which mentioned oil bypass showing whether or not the stock VW oil cooler can be used. This is confirmed by a conversation I had with Joe at RevMaster, who also mentioned that older serial numbers don't have the internal mods which block off the oil cooler hookups.

Anyone here know if there's a relationship between the engine's serial number and the internal modifications done to the oil galleries? If not, I'll try to get to the bottom of it for the group knowledge.

If Joe doesn’t know than I doubt anyone knows.

If the return line from your oil cooler is connected to where the pressure control/relief spring plug used to be then your case is modified. You need to remove the mod to use the top mount cooler.

In a stock engine case there are two holes from the pressure control/relief chamber back to the sump. The top hole allows oil to flow back to the sump when the pressure exceeds the maximum (which is a function of spring pressure under the piston). The second hole is below the piston to allow it to move up and down freely without creating a hydraulic or pneumatic lock. Both of these holes were plugged if Revmaster modified the case for their oil filter/cooler combination.

The only way to use the top cooler without splitting your cases would be to drive a sleeve into the chamber to block the main oil gallery. That would force all the oil to pass through the top cooler. Audirac Racing (http://www.headflowmasters.com/vw-oil-pressure-valve-body.html#.XmZkhpNKi8o) makes a ball-type pressure control/relief valve to replace the stock piston. It uses a sleeve driven into the chamber which blocks the main oil gallery. That sleeve would work for this application but may need to be bored out to allow adequate flow. You would not want to install the ball and spring because your oil is flowing up through the chamber to your oil cooler as opposed to down past the ball and spring. They are very knowledgable about the VW lubrication system and seem happy to chat. They might be willing to make what you need. I ended up splitting the cases and removing the Revmaster modifications. I am using their system as designed because it will not wear like the stock piston. The downside is that oil never bypasses the oil cooler even when cold.

Make sure you still have something to control your oil pressure. The Revmaster oil pump/filter assembly does this for you. Another oil pump with a full flow oil exit would not necessarily have a pressure regulation/relief feature.

Hope this helps.

Back