• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Revmaster Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Sk

So i have a Revmaster 2100. It has the Revmaster accessory drive on the back. When I went to put on a Slick 4220 I realized the drives don't match up. Is there an adapter someone makes? Or a different mag that will bolt on? I don't want to use the Bendix dual mag. My plan is to run an electronic secondary ignition off the front of the prop hub. Also does anyone here know of a machine shop anywhere in Canada with experience in machining heads for a second spark plug?

So i have a Revmaster 2100. It has the Revmaster accessory drive on the back. When I went to put on a Slick 4220 I realized the drives don't match up. Is there an adapter someone makes? Or a different mag that will bolt on? I don't want to use the Bendix dual mag. My plan is to run an electronic secondary ignition off the front of the prop hub. Also does anyone here know of a machine shop anywhere in Canada with experience in machining heads for a second spark plug?
Call Scott Casler at Hummel Engines in AZ USA...520 723 5283.
He is a master machinist and VW engine guru. He has done some very high quality, custom engine work for me. I was beyond pleased with his fees, expertise and quality controls. He can remedy both of your requirements as noted here. :)

I talked to Scott. He could make something to drive the mag but he would need everything there to do it. I'm still weighing all my options, including just starting fresh with an entire Hummel package. Does anyone know if there is a single Bendix mag that will drive off of the back of the Revmaster? Also my Sonerai mounts on the top are narrower than the Revmaster mounts. About 7". Would it originally have had a Monnet X mount?

If your upper engine mounts are 7” apart, your mount is set up for a HAPI/Mosler engine. The Monnett upper mounts are 10” apart, while the Diehl mounts are 9.6” apart. For drawings of the various non-Monnett mounting locations, go to the “Sonerai Files, Documentation & Service Manuals” section.

I talked to Scott. He could make something to drive the mag but he would need everything there to do it. I'm still weighing all my options, including just starting fresh with an entire Hummel package. Does anyone know if there is a single Bendix mag that will drive off of the back of the Revmaster? Also my Sonerai mounts on the top are narrower than the Revmaster mounts. About 7". Would it originally have had a Monnet X mount?
There is a reason that the major aircraft engine mfg. folks abandoned the ‘dual Bendix magneto‘...think about it. IMPO...driving 2 separate ignition sources with 2 separate engine components is THEE safest and most redundant method to minimize ignition based engine failures...that insidiously seem to happen on take off more often than not...this scenario is VERY! “not good”. I too have considered a fresh and new engine from Scott at Hummel or a kit from AeroVee that I build myself. Proper training, experience,‘Confidence’ and peace of mind in our selves and our machines is paramount in this E/AB game.

I agree with that 2 separately driven ignition sources is the only way to go. I am weighing all of my options. I want to run a single mag on the back of the Revmaster accessory case and an electronic on the front. My engine has too many unknowns and I haven't been getting much answers from Revmaster. Last summer I tore down and rebuilt a VW engine for automotive use just to familiarize myself with them. I am going to tear apart this Revmaster and see what I have to work with. If there is no single mag that can run off the Rev case then it is history. Does anyone know if the charging stator is a common application that can be replaced on it as well as a single mag that will work?

How did you make out? I have a Revmaster 2200 I would like to install a slick 4316 mag for hand prop starting as well. I have a Diehl case I could use with it as well?

I am going with a Diehl case. Using the Revmaster case requires custom machining for a slick mag. I had a hard time getting support from Revmaster. Not sure if there are even parts available for the charging coils if they failed. They refuse to sell their new Ignition/charging case unless you buy a new 2300 off them. The Diehl case is proven. For secondary ignition I found 2 electronic options. Megajolt uses a Ford EDIS 4 trigger set up. the other is from SDS in Calgary. SDS systems have been used on Revmasters before. Their website has pictures of installs. Both would have to have pick ups set up behind the prop flange. You could also go with 2 electronic systems, mounting one in front and the other in the rear. I like the idea of one mag though.

Yes, I have talked to Joe about it as well. He is not to worm to it. When I bought the engine it was sitting in the original crate since the eighties, like new! I sent it to Joe to upgrade to a 2200 with the new heads. I half to say they were great to deal with. As I under stand it the problem might be that the crank on his engine will not match up with the Diehl case and mag puck? I am familiar with SDS in Calgary. That is what I will be going with for my secondary. I would like to get rid of the Bendix and go with the slick for hand propping. Let me know how you make out?

That is a good question for the entire community. Has anyone used a Diehl case and Slick mag on the back of a Revmaster? I just assumed it would work. I will have a look at the back of my crank tonight and compare it to the pics of the Diehl kit.

Back