• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Revmaster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Walcott

Has anyone used a revmaster RD2100 in their Sonerai...pros/cons. I have a line on a rebuilt one with a starter and dual magneto to replace my single magneto 1835...will I need a different engine mount to accept the starter. All advice welcome please.

Attachments

• 32E60717-9513-4AC0-B50C-416CC2236A06.jpeg
    32E60717-9513-4AC0-B50C-416CC2236A06.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 44
Tony,
The Revmasters are good engines. There are some things you will need to consider:
1. The engine mount locations. If your current 1835 has the original Monnett Electro-X mount, the Revmaster will not mount to the fuselage without changing the mount lugs on the fuselage. This will require some cutting and welding.
2. I’m not sure the Bendix dual mag will fit between the front diagonal tubes in the fuselage.
3. The intake manifold top tubes will interfere with the top cowling, which will require some cowling mods (ie. fiberglass work).
4. The prop hub on the Revmaster is longer which will move the prop further out in front of the cowling. Again, more fiberglass work on the cowling.
Hope this helps,
Fred

Thanks for all that information. I did expect some modifications would be required but didn’t know what so thanks again. I do have the skill and equipment to deal with the items you mentioned.

The single magneto clears the tank but I’m not sure about the dual mags until I have he motor in my possession.

Here are the engines and it looks like the mounting to the body are the same

Attachments

• 8EB3BAC3-3E87-41B3-A39E-9EDF43FE83C3.jpeg
    8EB3BAC3-3E87-41B3-A39E-9EDF43FE83C3.jpeg
    692.8 KB · Views: 86
I’ve just seen to many bad engine builds to trust something I haven’t been in. Especially with all the VW stuff being so horribly machined don’t even start with assembly if you mess up critical things it’ll quit on you. There is only a few builders I would trust but still I would have to tare down a motor to check everything but that’s me. VW motors are not like they were where all parts fit together like modern motors. Everyone makes different parts and they all don’t work together well sometimes not at all.

[QUOTE = "Tony Walcott, message: 38160, membre: 4548"]
Quelqu'un at-il utilisé un revmaster RD2100 dans son Sonerai ... avantages / inconvénients. J'ai une ligne sur un reconstruit avec un démarreur et un double magnéto pour remplacer mon simple magnéto 1835 ... aurai-je besoin d'un support moteur différent pour accepter le démarreur. Tous les conseils sont les bienvenus.
[/CITATION]

Bonjour Tony,
C'est Chris de France
Vous avez une belle machine et, je pense à vous car, j'ai acheté la même machine avec un moteur RevMaster RD2100 et, j'ai hâte de regarder tout cela de plus près mais, mon avion est au Pays Bas et, avec la Covid19 je ne suis pas autorisé à aller le chercher pour l'instant! Cela me peine beaucoup car, par ces mois d'hivers qui passent, je pourrais travailler dessus et, ce n'est pas le cas malheureusement !
Dès que j'ai mon avion, je posterais des photos pour comparer et échanger avec la communauté Sonerai et vous bien-sur
Bon courage et, prenez votre temps sur votre machine; Il faux passez tout au peigne fin (tout regarder de très près!
Chris

Quelqu'un at-il utilisé un revmaster RD2100 dans son Sonerai ... avantages / inconvénients. J'ai une ligne sur un reconstruit avec un démarreur et un double magnéto pour remplacer mon simple magnéto 1835 ... aurai-je besoin d'un support moteur différent pour accepter le démarreur. Tous les conseils sont les bienvenus.
[/CITATION]

Bonjour Tony,
C'est Chris de France
Vous avez une belle machine et, je pense à vous car, j'ai acheté la même machine avec un moteur RevMaster RD2100 et, j'ai hâte de regarder tout cela de plus près mais, mon avion est au Pays Bas et, avec la Covid19 je ne suis pas autorisé à aller le chercher pour l'instant! Cela me peine beaucoup car, par ces mois d'hivers qui passent, je pourrais travailler dessus et, ce n'est pas le cas malheureusement !
Dès que j'ai mon avion, je posterais des photos pour comparer et échanger avec la communauté Sonerai et vous bien-sur
Bon courage et, prenez votre temps sur votre machine; Il faux passez tout au peigne fin (tout regarder de très près!
Chris
Can you please reply in English...Merci

[/CITATION]

Hello Tony,
This is Chris from France
You have a nice machine and, I think of you because, I bought the same machine with a RevMaster RD2100 engine and, I can’t wait to look at it all up close but, my plane is in the Netherlands and, with the Covid19 I’m not allowed to pick it up yet! It pains me a lot because, in these months of winters that pass, I could work on it and, unfortunately, that is not the case!
As soon as I have my plane, I would post photos to compare and exchange with the Sonerai community and you well-about
Good luck and, take your time on your machine; It fake comb everything (look very closely!
Chris

Chris congratulations on your purchase and hopefully you can get your plane delivered to you soon...please keep in touch and share your progress once you get started

Tony,
The Revmasters are good engines. There are some things you will need to consider:
1. The engine mount locations. If your current 1835 has the original Monnett Electro-X mount, the Revmaster will not mount to the fuselage without changing the mount lugs on the fuselage. This will require some cutting and welding.
2. I’m not sure the Bendix dual mag will fit between the front diagonal tubes in the fuselage.
3. The intake manifold top tubes will interfere with the top cowling, which will require some cowling mods (ie. fiberglass work).
4. The prop hub on the Revmaster is longer which will move the prop further out in front of the cowling. Again, more fiberglass work on the cowling.
Hope this helps,
Fred
I'm new to the Forum, but can see you are like the backbone of knowledge for the Sonerai community. Thank you for your generosity and commitment.

I'm new to the Forum, but can see you are like the backbone of knowledge for the Sonerai community. Thank you for your generosity and commitment.
Roger that troop! Fred will always lead you in the right direction and he has never failed to respond to my several inquiries addressed directly to him. Just my 2 cents but in my mind Fred K. ’saved‘ the Sonerai design from possible extinction after the end of Class V racing, and has ‘lead from the front’ to keep it all still relevant, interesting and modern. Yeah...Fred K. Rocks!😎😉

Back