• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotorway 100 engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonerai2pete

Does anyone have any intel. on the rotorway 100 engine?
Just picked up an II LTS with this type engine in it.
Only has 61 hours on it and no electrics or starter.
Thanks, Pete

Pete:
The Rotorway 100 engine was developed by B.J. Schramm several years ago for use in the Rotorway kit helicopter. Apparently, at some point he decided to sell the engine for airplane use, but I have no idea how many were sold. It is essentially a fully liquid-cooled engine loosely based on the VW design. I would suggest that you try doing a Google search on "Rotorway 100", and see what you come up with.

By the way, was your airplane built by Fred Ninneman? I knew him, and he was a neat guy. And from what I remember, he built a pretty nice airplane.

Hi Fred,
Nice to meet you. I did buy Fred's plane N57FN. Looks like a very well built plane with lots of detailed logs. Didn't get it home yet -shipping it down to FL. in a week or two, in the mean time trying to learn as much as I can about the plane and engine. The plane has not flown since 2006 - has only 64 hours on the frame and engine. Trying to figure out wheather I should keep this engine or maybe change it since this engine is no longer around. I'm thinking that support and parts will be hard to find. Not much luck on google .

Was this Fred's 1st airplane or had he built any others ?
Pete

Hi Pete:
As far as I know it was Fred's first homebuilt, but he talked about other airplanes, so I'm not sure.

I agree that parts for the Rotorway RW-100 may be the biggest issue, plus I believe that the engine with its liquid cooling is a lot heavier than a fully equipped 2180 VW. You could probably lighten the airplane up quite a bit with an engine changeout.

Does anyone have any intel. on the rotorway 100 engine?
Just picked up an II LTS with this type engine in it.
Only has 61 hours on it and no electrics or starter.
Thanks, Pete

Hello Pete

The engine is heavier than the VW. One of the major markets for the engine was as a replacement for the C-85/0-200 in a Vari Eze. The installed weight of the Rotorway compares with the O-200 Vari Eze installed weight (200#). The Rotorway does not have a starter but can have an belt driven alternator on the front. I have a zero time Rotorway 100 engine and the Rotorway Vari Eze installation "kit".

Years ago I was thinking of putting this engine on a Cassutt, not a Sonerai. The Sonerai was designed as a VW powered racer. Later John modified the design to carry 2 people. It was never structurally intended to have engines that are heavier and more powerful than the hand prop VW. Good VW powered Sonerais are very close to the limits of the airframe. This is not to say it can't be made to work. I wonder why your airplane Only has 61 hours on it.

Remember, whatever you do, You are the Test Pilot!

Let me know what you need. If you send me your phone number I will call.

Brian Dempsey Builder of the worlds fastest Sonerais

Back