• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

S1 Canopy Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobthebuilder

Hi guys,

I'm looking for clarification regarding canopy types. Which is the sleekest, non bubble type most commonly used?

Previous threads have revealed a few options:

1) Standard S1. (Aircraft Spruce) shape and form unknown. Is this a bubble designed for a guy with an XL head?
2) Berkut. (Todds Canopies) Sleek, but with a not so sleek price.
3) KR-1 (Aircraft Spruce) looks like a nice candidate, but only 0.08" thick. Will this be strong enough?
4) Long-EZ?

Bob,
I have a RV-3 bubble for my project. The width and height seem perfect. Your question states "non-bubble" but most (all) installations require cutting, so what is the big deal with cutting the unneeded part of the bubble off. This really gives you two options. You can discard the rear 3rd and use the front for a typical installation, or cut off the front 3rd and use the back two 3rds for a super sleek racer installation. I plan on using the front portion of the bubble and matching the back slope of the bubble with the slope of the turtle deck. This will give the impression of a Spitfire-like canopy that is taller than the turtle deck but provides a pleasing smooth continuous profile line. This canopy can be purchased clear or with a tint and is quite strong.

John

If y'all end up with one end of a canopy you don't want, I'd be interested in it to make a single place canopy for my S-II. ;) 8)

acrojohn said:
Bob,
I have a RV-3 bubble for my project. The width and height seem perfect. Your question states "non-bubble" but most (all) installations require cutting, so what is the big deal with cutting the unneeded part of the bubble off. This really gives you two options. You can discard the rear 3rd and use the front for a typical installation, or cut off the front 3rd and use the back two 3rds for a super sleek racer installation. I plan on using the front portion of the bubble and matching the back slope of the bubble with the slope of the turtle deck. This will give the impression of a Spitfire-like canopy that is taller than the turtle deck but provides a pleasing smooth continuous profile line. This canopy can be purchased clear or with a tint and is quite strong.

John

Thanks for this good idea John! I have been kicking around the idea of a Spitfire like canopy for quite awhile. I found some RV-3 pics that give a good idea of what you are saying.

Attachments

• 9000797_orig.jpg
    9000797_orig.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 4223402_orig.jpg
    4223402_orig.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 76
There's always the tubing framed Flat-Wrap Plexi or Lexan option, like the Cassutt…Clean, light, simple, cheap…….Ed

Back