• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

S1 just listed on Barnstotmers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the speed is an exaggeration . I believe this airplane has been sold in this configuration a couple of times. I remember when it was an all solid color, I believe it was named 'Tweedy Bird', and was previously owned by Mike Kellem of Kentucky. At one time it had race number 24 assigned to it by Formula V…This would have been in the early 1990's…..Ed

Forgot to mention, I believe it has been re-registered with a different registration number than previously…..More useless trivia…..Ed

Hallo,
160mph with 3 1/2gph: definitive NO
but a cheap platform to make a racer: new cowling, new engine 2.4 or so..
but no information about the weight..? big rudder and elevator... much weight in the back?

with best regards
Juergen

That ad actually brought me to this forum. Anyone know more about this airframe? One would think a seller would provide better images for an ad to sell an airplane.

Also, could the cowl be cleaned up and the engine cooled in a more streamlined manner?

Welcome. Yes, the cowl could be re-built or replaced to enclose the engine. There is a huge amount of drag there right where you need a Sonerai to be clean….Ed

Hi TeaV,

I haven't heard anyone say this is a bad airplane, just that the numbers are, um, exaggerated. I would note that it is also missing its spinner, and apparently has a 1600cc engine (if that is what he means by VW 1.6). This is at the low end of what is recommended for an S1, so it won't be the spritest puppy in the pack, but probably still usable. I wonder, not just how much drag, but how much turbulence is being generated by that nose that may affect it flying qualities.

The price isn't bad, and as long as you are either OK with so-so performance, or are wanting to dive in and give it a proper nose job, then give it consideration. If you want to replace the nose, Fred can sell you a new cowl and spinner ($700 total+shipping, according to his website). My only caution would be to check and recheck anything the seller tells you. Since he is so far off on the mark on the speed numbers, you should also verify anything else you are told... This is definitely a try-before-you-buy airplane.

Best of luck and welcome to S.net!

O'Bill

Back