• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

S1 took the air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaston

Hello guys

Flew the S1 this morning...
finally succeeded with the radio installation last evening.
So went to the airport early 5:30 local time, so I could fly the plane with no Xpdr on board...
Wind was 13 K with lights gusts at 30° from right...
taxi went well as previously experienced before.
ground roll was short and I kept the tail on the ground until all 3 wheels were about to lift, after a little unplanned zigzag on the runway, with a light tendency to veer into the Wind
engine performs great at 3320 in the climb...pattern altitude is reached by the time you scan the instruments...
air was pretty unstable and the plane tended to dance a bit...
controls were extremely light and responsive, much more than my S2 with the biggest difference being with elevator.
much lighter and more responsive probably due to lighter plane (756#) TOW

But the real difference was with the flare, overcontrolling is so easy and once you begin, the dance goes on...
Wheel landing was very difficult, should I say nearly impossible, for this flight...
3 points were not bad at all...
I landed after 5 circuits and t&g.

then had a close look at the engine and accessory and found nothing wrong ,but the Rec/reg that was still asleep, will have a look into this this pm...

Next flight will happen after traffic hours this evening

More to come

Curtis Pitts famously said that there was “no such thing as a twitchy airplane—only twitchy pilots.” ;)

Glad to hear the test flights have begun, please keep us updated and post some performance numbers once the air smooths out!

I'll be watching for your updates!
-Joe

Great News Gaston! As of late I have been going over this daily in my head as my first flight is right around the corner. Keep up the posts, I love to read them!

Got the Reg/rec replaced with another one ... issue solved

Tim I will also be glad to read about your first flight...

be carefull...

I'd better read about it late than never !!!

Back