• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

S2 mid wing wings on S2L? And other things...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CdnMedic

Browsing around on the online classifieds, I came across a previously flying S2 midwing that came down hard enough to twist the fuselage up a bit.
I can get the wings (appear to be undamaged), the fuselage will come with them, but it still has all the controls, push tubes etc, and the tail feathers, elevator etc. The canopy and thus I assume, the frame and hinges also comes with it. It looks all to be in good shape aside from the fuselage damage.
The price is less than me buying spars from Sonex.

My only concern, is that I'm building a low wing, and the mid wing spars are drilled for no dihedral. Is there a way that I can make those wings work? It would also be a trick picking up those holes in the spar and getting them to line up right with a new spar box.

Is this worth me going out to purchase? seems like it would save me a bunch of time and work... Or, I could build as a mid wing I guess, which isn't quite what I want.

The mid wing spar stub is 2" longer at the root than the low wing. You can just cut that 2" off. The taper pin holes are made to be in the same location in relation to inboard end of the wing, meaning where the skins end. Seems you should be able to use the wings for a low wing.

Awesome, thanks. Once the seller gets back to me and we are free to travel I'm going to go pick it up... Hopefully this means I can build my fuselage over the fall/winter and be starting on engine install next spring when I find a donor sled.

Got some pictures, counted rib lines and could only see 9, he confirmed they are the 9 rib wings but have the spars built up as per the "mod". They should still be fine and speed up my build time. Says they need paint but are serviceable as is.

Back