• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Seat Pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siege076

Okay, I realize this is probably a stupid question, but... I am in the process of welding up my IIL fuselage right now and had to stop because the shop is too cold for welding 4130. As such, I figured I should get some of the odd-and-ends done. I started putting together the upholstery for the seats and I was wondering what people normally did for the seat bottom? I was thinking about using quarter inch plywood but wasn't sure that would be strong enough and half inch seems too heavy...

The builder of mine even made it flip forward.

That is just the .025, + (appears to be) .025 wrap for hinges on the front seat frame tube. The "pan" is merely "upholstered" with a thin sheet (1/2" max) of that insulating/contour foam wrapped over and glued. It is comfortable to sit in, but i have not flown the project yet.

The seat & back are continuous.
There does not appear to be other structure - the riveted on piece is most likely due to using scraps up - though that doubling could certainly add a slight bit of stiffness.

DSC_0242.JPG

Here is another option: For the seat bottom I made a frame from 1/2" plywood then covered it with Textilene. I used grommets to string it. I will probably simply staple it to the wood for final installation. The back is Textilene strung around the uprights.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 48
Caught my eye. Just FYI or JFAL my Sonerai came from it's initial builder in Washington state with cut up speed limit signs as seat pan and back. When I pulled them out they still had the numbers on them. Plywood was much lighter and I might have gone to a sling seat.

Back