• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sheet Metal Material Requirements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonfilipa

Supporting Member
So I'm looking to purchase the required aluminum sheet metal but have some questions as the material list on the plans is not clear. At least to me.

2024-T3
Wing skins: (4) 0.025" X 48" X 100"
Plans say to order 104", and since at least on Aircraft Spruce I only see an 8 ft (96") and 12 ft (144") options, I assume that means I"ll need 12 ft sections and cannot get away with the 8 footers

Spar cap material: (4) 0.125" X 6" X 20" --> Seems straight forward enough

2024-T4 --> Regarding the T4 specification, does it matter whether 2024-T4 or T3 is used? I'm guessing no but wanted to check.
Spar cap material: (8) 0.125" X 1.25" X 12 ft --> straight forward pending whether T4 vs T3

Spar reinforcements: (2) 1.25" X 1.25" X 1/8" X 48"
So I'm struggling to see what to order as there are 4 dimensions listed. I'm assuming this is supposed to be 1.25" X 1/8" X 48" but am looking for confirmation.

6061-T6 & Stainless Steel
I see 3 things listed
(1) 1" X 1" X 0.125" 24" --> I'm assuming this is 6061-T6 and is supposed to be 1" X 0.125" X 24"
(1) 3 ft X 3 ft X 20" --> This is one big solid block of metal per the dimensions. Looking for some help regarding material and actual needed dimensions.
(1) 1" X 1" X 1/2" X 18" --> Guessing this is 1" X 1/2" X 18" but am looking for confirmation. And also what material this is supposed to be.

Am also open to purchasing any of the required sheet metal if someone has something they are looking to get out of their shop/hanger.

2024-T3 and T4 are basically the same, but T3 will be cold worked which will raise the strength slightly. A quick look and T3 has a yield tensile of 42.1 ksi and T4 is 37.7 ksi, so you are talking 11% reduction. Shear strength is the same for each. While probably OK because the 0.025" sheet is used in the ribs and skin and is generally taking the torsional loads in shear stress in the panel, the Sonerai did have some wing failures. Since I don't know the specifics of the failures, I would not personally substitute.

1.25" x 1.25" x 1/8" x 48" refers to an aluminum angle, NOT flat stock. It has 4 dimensions because angles can have different width on each leg. Leg1 = 1.25 wide, leg2 = 1.25 wide, thickness = 1/8", length = 48"

Same for the 1 x 1 x 1/8" x 24". This is an angle and sounds like the piece for the rear spar carry thru

I would guess the 3 ft x 3 ft x 20" should be 3 ft x 3 ft x 0.020" and sounds like the firewall material. You can use galvanized or stainless for this

As for the 1" x 1" x 1/2" x 18", I'm not sure what that would be referring to.

Back